Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 3: my inlaws and my parents

Paul and I are blessed to have two sets of wonderful parents who are great examples of how marriage can work, both in different ways.  Paul's parents were college sweethearts who have been married for 50 years.   This is a second marriage for both my parents but they have 33 years under their belt.  May we be as blessed to have all those years together--and still seem to enjoy each other as much as our parents do.

Since Henry has been thrown into the mix (it always come back to him, doesn't it?), I truly have realized how much my parents did for me, growing up and now.  I think Paul would say the same thing.  I'm not sure I understood pre-child how much parents do give up just in terms of their time and their beings.  Paul and I still go and do individually but it's definitely takes so much more planning and arranging that I never realized.

I'm so thankful that the couple of times Henry has decided he needed to be sick, a grandparent has been around to help us out--mostly one of our moms but Paul's dad will happily take a sick Henry too.  Just this week, Henry decided he needed to run a little fever.  Not enough that we would have had to keep him home from daycare but we knew he would get better quicker if we did.  Paul's parents came over to deal with a feverish Henry yesterday and his mom was here with an ornery Henry today.  And we were able to be at work knowing Henry was getting plenty of attention and affection.

No comments: