Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 2: for my husband

It has been twelve years since we got married and sixteen years since we started dating.  It is hard to believe when I see that written down or say it aloud.  Sixteen years!

One of the things that made me fall in love so many years ago was just how thoughtful he could be--not big gifts because honestly (and I think he'll admit this),  he's not that great with the presents.  But he does do little things that are always so thoughtful.  He bought me a new umbrella in college after mine was broken in a wind gust because he knew I needed it.  When we were dating in college, he left very quickly following the completion of his thesis to move back to ABQ and start work.  He had about a week but because of his parents' schedule, it was only about two days between when he finished and when he moved out.  I was heartbroken that he wouldn't be around all the time any longer and was moping around the apartment when a knock came at the door.  Paul had driven back to Lubbock from ABQ because he hadn't said good-bye.  :melt:  That's when I was pretty much a goner for that silly boy.

He leaves silly little notes around the house or does something to catch me off-guard (because it's totally normal to open the fridge and find a game piece dwarf fighting the gallon of milk).  Once or twice week, I'll get a picture of he and Henry doing something in the morning when I've already left for work.  My email is always filled with links he think I'll like or funny pictures.

I'm constantly challenged, frustrated, amazed, comforted and cheered by Paul and I'm so thankful to have him in my life.  He never fails to make me smile (even when I'm trying not to) and seeing him interact with Henry never ceases to fill my heart with joy.

No comments: