Before Henry was born, Paul and I discussed TV and baby. For several reasons, all our own and not really necessary to discuss with others, we agreed that we would try to limit screen time for him and us. Now, as a 20 month old, Henry has almost zero interest in watching television. He wasn't feeling well last Thursday so we snuggled and watched cartoons on PBS (we don't even have cable any longer because we watched so little TV). He will occasionally ask for a Thomas DVD but even then, he doesn't sit and watch. I'm definitely happy we've started him off on this path because I know the battle over screen time is coming soon enough.
Because I didn't like the quiet (one of the main reasons I even watched TV during the day), when Henry was a little bitty baby, I started playing music almost all the time. Now that he's older, Henry will request music whenever we are at the house. He has a handful of CDs he likes--it's funny to watch him put them in the stereo and push play or have a toddler size meltdown when he a DVD doesn't actually play. I know they play music frequently at his daycare and there are several songs that Henry now "sing"--Itsy Bitsy Spider, the Alphabet, Wheels on the Bus. Pandora has been wonderful for us--our music, Henry's music, everyone happy. Any time there is clapping on a song (a live track), Henry will always clap along and throw in a "Yay!"
Just tonight, Henry and I were singing along with his earliest favorite song, which had everyone around clapping hands, stomping feet, and shouting hurray! just to amuse a toddler. If You're Happy and You Know It came on and how could I not be happy when for a good minute, a cheery toddler was clapping and "yay"ing. Tonight, I am thankful for music and the joy that it brings to our life every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment