Saturday, December 2, 2006

Warming Trend


This morning, I woke up earlier than I do during the week, bundled up in several layers of clothing, only deciding against the wool ski socks at the last minute (a decision I would later regret), and left the house just as the sky was beginning to grow light. I picked up a friend for our early morning volunteer session. This morning's destination was Old Town Albuquerque and the Posole Ole' Special Olympics Walk. As we made our way across town, Kim and I laughed that we really need to find volunteer events that occur later in the day--we both help with one of the breast cancer walks every spring, an event that also begins before dawn for us.

When we signed up for the event, it was unseasonably warm for November and it seemed like a grand idea to volunteer for such a wonderful organization as the Special Olympics. And it was a grand idea--just much colder than we'd anticipated thanks to the very cold front that came through this week. It was a brisk 23 degrees this morning when the walk began at 8:00. Unfortunately, the cold weather this morning did reduce the number of walkers. But the hearty souls that were in Old Town this morning, either as volunteers or participants, were cheered by the thoughts of the money being raised and posole and warm drinks at the end of the walk.

After our services were no longer needed, and we'd sufficiently warmed up at a nearby extension of a coffee chain, Kim and I headed to a craft fair at the high school near her house. It's amazing to me, having attended "craft shows" for many year, how much these have changed in the past 10 years. There were still the tissue box covers and other overly-tufted and tassled items I remember from childhood craft shows. But more common at this show were table after table of pottery, jewelry, glass and metal art, photography. Even the handcrafts available seem to have stepped up a notch. I picked up a few things--a stocking stuffer for my mother-in-law and a baby gift for friends.

I picked up several ideas of things that I need to share with the craftier among us--simple, cute, and not yet overly done by others. If I had any patience, I would tackle them since none seemed difficult to do. However, I also know myself and know that I would buy all the supplies and then tucker out before actually accomplishing the task. (I write that as I stare at the "learn to knit" kit I bought early in the year with every intention of learning to do this year that still sits on the hearth where it hasn't moved in several months except when I need to dust around it. I have worked on it--just not recently.)

The day isn't over yet--I'm heading up to Santa Fe with another friend for another volunteer obligation. This one will be less fun and more obligation (but still enjoyable since I'll get to work with someone I know/like). I think this one is indoors--definitely a plus.

(And the picture is the downspout at the front of the house--it had warmed up just enough when I got home at noon for the ice to slide out.)

1 comment:

mommyfranklin said...

Sounds like quite a day!