When our neighborhood was being built about six years ago, Paul and I wandered over to look at a model home one Sunday afternoon. We were just starting the search for a house but we didn't think we were serious about our looking. We'd been married for just a few months and honestly, we just wanted to get an idea of what was out there. We had an idea that we wanted to stay up in the area of our apartment. It's a great neighborhood--quiet, not much traffic--and there were several communities being built with smaller starter homes. We looked at the model home in this community on our second Sunday out, still thinking it would be six months before we might be serious about buying. While looking at the various lots available, we met a few of the neighbors. All of these people invited Paul and me to walk through their homes and see what they'd done with their houses. I think that was a deciding factor for us to build in this neighborhood. That total strangers were friendly enough to let us traipse through their house meant they'd probably be friendly enough to let us borrow some sugar or pick up the mail. As it turned out, those first neighbors are that friendly and even more. Eventually, there were four of us with houses under construction at the same time--including one of our neighbors in the apartment complex--and we got to know those neighbors as well as we dealt with the stresses of building a house. Now, over six years later, we've celebrated weddings and babies, mourned the death of one neighbor, had impromptu cocktail hours after meeting at the mailbox, battled a pigeon invasion that unfortunately originated at our house, and planned dinner parties so we can have a reason to dress up.
Paul and I have looked at other homes in the past six years, thinking that maybe we'd like a bigger house or a bigger yard, but we can't bring ourselves to leave our block. One couple who let us walk through their house that Sunday afternoon moved to Seattle four years ago. Two years ago, they moved back. They didn't like Seattle and while they didn't have jobs in ABQ, they decided that they really wanted to be back in our little neighborhood. They weren't able to move back into their original home but they are back in different home just across the street. I completely understand that feeling of wanting to be here--it's why we didn't buy that bigger house that was a great price two years ago. It wasn't in this neighborhood. Eventually some of the people we know so well will leave and not come back. Maybe we'll be those people. But in the meantime, there is some pull that keeps us here. Something that just says this is where we need to be. Something that says this is home.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Paul and I went to the Tech game in October, we stayed at a hotel in Amarillo since Paul was sick. We couldn't stay at my grandparents' house because my granddad wasn't 100% and we didn't want to expose him to Paul's germs. Upon checking out, we laughed when we saw the receipt--it said we lived on "Soberly Trail." I guess they haven't been to one of our neighborhood parties. Here is a new recipe I tried out that was a big hit last night. Super easy to make and tasty to munch while sipping wine, which our neighbors do well.
Parmesan twists (from Real Simple, December 2006)
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut one 17.25-ounce package thawed puff pastry lengthwise into 24 strips. Brush with 1 lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated* Parmesan and 1 tablespoon poppy or sesame seeds** (optional) and twist. Place on 2 baking sheets.*** Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
*Tried it with grated and shredded; preferred shredded
**Paul was doing the sprinkling--I don't think we used this much cheese or poppy seeds but the twists were still tasty.
***Definitely grease the baking sheets; puff pastry sticks badly as I learned on my first attempt
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before the party, Paul told me that he wanted to make certain that this year, we got more pictures from the party. He charged the camera battery and made sure that the camera was at the ready. Then he realized why we have so few pictures from parties--it's hard to be the host and the photographer. He managed to snap just a few.
Just before the party--Jubjub doesn't know what's about to hit him. He spends the better part of any gathering we have at the house upstairs under our bed, retreating to his hiding place as soon as the doorbell first rings. This year, he came out while there were still a few guests at the house--he slinked around the living room, not at all happy to have been duped into believing it was safe to come down. Jub even deigned to be petted by one of the guests (who claimed to be "loved by all cats"--obviously, he's never met Jubjub).
The hostess hams it up for the camera. I should have cleaned off the counters before this picture but I was still trying to get food and things ready. When I wear all black, Paul calls it a "ninja outfit." This was the "fancy ninja outfit." I love my shoes--pointy black toes with silver beading on the vamp (and I feel like quite the vamp in them)


1 comment:
What a wonderful feeling to know you have great neighbors. Isn't this what living is about? It's so hard to connect anymore what with everyone online, too busy, life in the fast lane. Having friendly neighbors helps with the kids, emergencies, and just being able to relax in your own space.
I feel very fortunate to have such great neighbors as I bought my house while I was still living in Chicago and had just two days to decide. It's a great neighborhood.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like a nice *twist* to the usual holiday fare.
:)
Natalie
Post a Comment