Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 8: Birthday

Today is my 33rd birthday.

I was going to try to recap the last 32 birthdays but I can only remember a half-dozen of them as really standing out (numbers 14, 16, 20, 21, 27, and 30 for a variety of different reasons). Most of my birthday parties while growing up were cake-and-ice cream affairs with school friends and family. Maybe a slumber party or two in upper elementary. Dinner with my family as I got older. Very low-key which is mostly how I like it. You know, when I'm not drawing attention to myself by wearing a big birthday tiara or flashing button that reads "Birthday Girl!" (neither of which actually made an appearance this year).

My student aides were plotting a suprise when they learned my birthday was today. They, along with three yearbook students, were trying to convince the asst. principal to let them sing "Happy Birthday" to me as an all-call over the school intercom when I walked into the office while they were in the midst of their pleading and ruined their surprise. The yearbook cover proof had just arrived and I heard the girls in the office so I took it in to show them (all my aides are on the yearbook staff as well). They shooed me back to the library and the asst. principal let them sing over the library intercom. It wasn't what they were wanting to do but it was very thoughtful and very appreciated.

None of the girls could understand my choice of birtday gifts, though. I think it really shows how old I am getting. Because we're getting the new living room furnture (our anniversary gift, actually) and doing some remodel work on house (new kitchen countertops and backsplash), and because I couldn't think of something any time Paul has asked in the past week, I'm just counting the new undermount sink as present enough. Woohoo! No more crumb-catcher sink!

Paul and I are going dinner tonight at The Melting Pot where we will overeat all the fondue goodness. Maybe do something else over the weekend--this is usually the one time a year I can get Paul to Santa Fe or Taos. Just low-key and probably not all that memorable but a good day nonetheless. And that's about all I really want for my birthday.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!

Enjoy your day or days.

melsmu97 said...

Happy birthday, Carrie!!!!!

The Byrd said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Donna said...

Happy birthday, sis.

FXSmom said...

Happy Birthday!!! That is sooo cool :)

telfair said...

Hope your birthday was fabulous! Sorry for my belated well-wishing.

Lunasea said...

Happy Birthday, fellow Scorpio woman!!