In the spirit of the season so far, I've put out a few little Christmas things and have purchased and wrapped almost all the presents. One of the only gifts I'm lacking is for Benjamin. I just haven't found that one thing that says it is exactly what we need to get our littlest nephew. I've got a few ideas but nothing that seems to be "It." I'm feeling the same way about my FIL's gift as well. We've ordered a gift for him that he can use on their sailboat but it isn't much and it isn't very exciting. So, I still need to work on those gifts. I've also got to make a phone call about Paul's gift. I'm going for Best Wife Ever with this present but it's something Paul has joked about doing for years. He works long hours and doesn't get to play much so we'll just let him play for a few days.
I've gotten all the gifts for Paul's brother and his family wrapped and ready to mail, including Matthew's and Sarah's birthday presents (which are 12/20 and 1/11, respectively). Paul found the gifts for both of them--Matthew, who will be 5, is getting a make-your-own rubber ball kit. I'm sure Alan and Julie are going to *love* that. Sarah, who will be 7, is getting a new game Paul found at a game store in Berkeley. I'll probably renew their Highlights subscription as well. I loved that as a child--not sure if they feel the same fondness for it because we never hear anything from Alan and Julie about any gifts we give beyond a note that reads "Thanks for the such-and-such. We appreciate it." I asked Paul if he saw anything we'd given them over the years when Paul was at their house recently. He said the rocking snail we gave Sarah for her first birthday was still out. Good--one thing we bought 6 years ago is still being used. Have no idea about anything else purchased since but the snail was a hit. Woo.
We've started buying only one gift for Alan & Julie's family. We see them so rarely so we don't know what they like/want/need and honestly, their house rivals Toys R Us for the sheer volume of toys. This year, we bought a 16-disc DVD set of classic children's stories and some of the books that are in the set. I also always purchase a Christmas book for our nieces and nephews. I don't know if they appreciate it or not. Again, we never hear anything about it beyond a cursory mention in the thank you note. And that's it for them--three boxes for four children. They can duke it out on Christmas morning as to who is the odd-man-out when it comes to ripping the wrapping paper. I guess if I was a good aunt, I would have considered the child-to-present ration. But it's all boxed up and ready to go so it's a little late now. My goal is to head to the post office on Saturday with all our Christmas cards and packages to mail. And I know I seem rather cranky about this but it really hits a nerve. I try to put a lot of thought into the presents we give people and I love finding that *perfect* gift. But honestly, the most well-received gift we've ever given Paul's brother and SIL was a Pottery Barn gift card that required exactly 30 seconds worth of effort on my part. So to not hear anything about all the things we've given that I have put consideration into is quite disgruntling but obligation means we'll continue to send them gifts. I guess I'd just appreciate a comment about the present at a later time or pictures of the child with the present later (even if it is the one and only time they touched the item). Just makes the effort seem more worthwhile.
Today's random picture isn't too random since it is a Christmas picture. This picture was taken in 1977--we're 6, 3, and almost-2 and we are in our red velvet Christmas dresses. Amy's dress originally had a bow as well until she pulled it off. (To really tug at the ol' heart strings, this was our one Christmas without a dad.)

Oh, and it was nice to hear the Christmas carol "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" when I was driving around this afternoon. I'm never sure if I just invent lyrics and that song has lyrics I always think I invented until I actually hear the song and realize that no, there really will be the telling of "scary ghost stories" along with all the other cheery things that happen during the Christmas holiday. Strange.
3 comments:
Are you going to get a trip to Florida with Paul's gift? I'm not sure I understand what he is getting or why he would want it, but if it makes the boy happy --- good for you. :)
Yes, we probably will be going to in March so Paul can take rally driving lessons and learn how to do power slides and hand brake turns. I don't try to understand.
You are going to win the best wife of the century award with that one!!!
Post a Comment