Friday, November 23, 2007

Day 23: Friday

Yesterday, the weather turned off cold at Mom and Dad's house--perfect for Thanksgiving. Not so much with two small active children who'd prefer room to run. It's overcast and in the low to mid-50's or so which is downright frigid in this part of the world--the wind definitely has a nip to it. When I checked ABQ's weather on CNN.com earlier today, it was 36 and "dreary." That's the actual term used to describe conditions in ABQ. It's supposed to have warmed up to a less-dreary 50 or so on Sunday when we'll wing our way back home.

Everyone is going a bit stir-crazy around here because of the weather. Mom, Donna, Amy, and I did a bit of shopping on the square in Bay City this afternoon. It's all little gift shops and home accessories stores filled in every corner with knick-knacks and paddywhacks and pretties. I always find something to bring home with me. Today, I found a new Christmas ornament, a stocking stuffer gift for Paul, and a little magnet for my Secret Pal at school. We didn't get to stop by one of my favorite stores--I guess we have a reason to leave the house again tomorrow.

The cold weather and more people hanging around has given Paul a great chance to play many of the games we have that require more than two players. He got home after I'd packed on Tuesday only to request a repack so I could take a couple of boxes of board games. We both have our two larger suitcases (the same ones used for our 12-days in Hawaii) filled with thismuch clothes and THISMUCH games. It has been fun and given everyone a break to the de rigueur football and napping and eating.

I also remember why we don't keep Cheetos in the house. Or marshmallows. Or most any kind of desserts around. I have zero willpower when it comes to things like that. I have done my best to hoover most of these things. We joked that when I get back to ABQ and see the trainer again, I'll have to confess to my Cheetos with a chocolate chaser that I've indulged in during the past two days. It's not much of a stretch as to my eating habits over this holiday. I brought stuff to go walking outside but that hasn't happened due to the weather. I have run a few dozen laps around my mom's kitchen chasing a 2-year-old and had a dance party with a 4-year-old yesterday and Wednesday. Probably not as good as an elliptical machine and weights but much more enjoyable.

No comments: