Instead of a view of Paul through the years, I thought I'd post a few little glimpses of How Paul's Brain Works. I've always said that if Paul ever committed murder, his entire defense would consist of "But it's Paul!" and he would be cleared of all charges. Of course, I've threatened murder if I have to hear one more time "He's so cute!" which he is--and very clever and quick and funny and all that-- but sometimes, just sometimes, I'd really like a normal picture.
My mother-in-law gave us some of Paul's old schoolwork that she'd saved. One of them was a journal he had to keep in 2nd grade. Most entries consist of "Today I'm saking (sic)
(There is some discussion as to when the following papers were done. His mother thinks they were 2nd or 3rd grade but Paul thinks he was older--4th, 5th or 6th grade. Either way, I think it's very clever and very indicative of how my husband's brain still works.)
Paul declares that Richard Scarry is the greatest author of all time. He definitely was inspired by Scarry. For example: The Picklebird from Outer Space. The shape was on the paper and the students had to do something with it. Paul created Picklebird. Of course. Who wouldn't?

The circles were drawn on the paper and Paul had to create things with them. My personal favorite is the rather formal circle man pushing the baby stroller.

An 11-year-old Paul's Rube Goldberg take on a pie-making machine. He's never helped me make a pie--perhaps if we can figure out how to make this machine. . .

And in my never-ending quest to just take a picture of my husband, I present the following proof that it will probably never happen.
Taking it on the chin on the wharf in Monterey, CA. He couldn't just stand there.

Very unhappy about being back home and back to work:

In Chicago at the photo-op spot in the Hancock Building. (The beam is vertical with the photo illusion of looking down behind it.) I had almost the exact same picture but Paul's the one who gets all the glory (and his was better, I admit). His comment was that the eyes were really good but that he should have curled his leg around the beam more. He never stops improving upon his bad pictures.

In Chama at the train depot. Most people just take pictures of the trains but not Paul. That would be too easy. Paul had to set up this whole picture so that he would look like he was getting sucked into the fan--he was trying to figure out if he could look like he was rotating in the fan. There comes a point when I have to refuse to be party to the madness.

This is Paul's personal favorite because "Look at that mouth! I was really convincing about how bad it hurts to have a dinosaur bite your head!" My family might recognize this as one of the dinosaurs in Clayton. Again, too easy to just stand beside it.
But all his goofiness does translate well with our nieces and nephews (and all our friends' children). On one visit, he spent much of the time being corralled into singing on the toddler-karaoke machine with a then 2-year-old Sarah. It was some Wiggles song about ducks say quack, cows say moo, etc. Sarah said "ooooooohhhhhhh" into the microphone the entire time. Paul added his own chorus: "Party people in the back! Say quack, quack, quack!"
So, there it is. A wee little glimpse into life with my husband. It's never dull, I'll give him that.
2 comments:
That is great. I do have a couple of regular pictures of Paul, but how dull they now seem.
You know, I've always know Paul was extraordinarily smart. But the circle exercise prove that he's extraordinarily creative, too.
Post a Comment