Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 15: Hairdo

A few years ago, I heard a "joke" about Texas women caring more about their hair than their hearts because people can see their hair. I put joke in quotes because I think it's pretty much the truth. I've been told I'm high-maintanence because I get regular haircuts (I'm not sure what the regular massages mean) but I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty vain about having "good hair."

I've gone to the same hairdresser since shortly after I moved to ABQ. She's fantastic and I have followed her to three different locations, none remotely close to my house or work, for that reason. I never know what my hair is going to look like but it will look good when she's finished. When people comment that I've done something new with my hair, I half-jokingly reply that I'm at her whim and mercy with both the cut and color. One of my coworkers, who also understands the importance of good hair and good shoes (we get along really well), comments that she's in the same position.

I've cut off over a foot of hair four different times, the first time when I was in first grade when I went from very long hair to a cute little bob. Did the same thing again when I was a freshman in high school and then again in college. Just chopped it off. I grow it out to cut it off. I wore it shorter--a chin length bob--for four years until I decided to start growing it out last summer. I told my hairdresser that it was going to be painful for a while because I wasn't going to do anything except trims and color until it was the length I wanted (I was aiming for just below my shoulders). Thankfully my hair grows quickly and by February, it was all grown out again.

I had a hair appointment this evening. I was thinking about getting a few inches cut off and some lowlights added. Hairdresser had another idea. She decided it was too pretty to cut. We did agree it needed thinning. So, she added more layers, a trim and an all-over color. It's doesn't show up in the picture too well but it's a darker copper color than I've been before (and what I naturally am). . .
but the length is all mine and it's getting really long again.
And the gratuitious picture of the cat who was trying to figure out what I'm doing.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Your hair looks beautiful. And your butt is nothing to sneeze at! :-)

Loni said...

momma m said almost exactly what I was thinking. I have to say, I'm a bit jealous of your beautiful new hairdo and your cute tush.

Carrie said...

Ha! I'll be sure to let both my hairdresser and my trainer know that they're doing a good job. :)

Patsy said...

HUMMMM I must be the mommy. I didn't notice the tush. I do however highly approve of the hair color and style. You look even younger and sassier. See you Tuesday -- how will it look then????

Lunasea said...

Verrry nice! Great color. I'm going to copy you and take a picture of how mine turned out too. Day 16 - DONE!

melsmu97 said...

I love your hair, Carrie. My mom always says she'll be a redhead in her next life. ;-) I'm not sure I've ever seen it that long, but it yooks great!

Carrie said...

This is the longest it's been in probably 6 or 7 years. It's gotten long enough that I'm thinking about growing it to donate to Locks of Love.

Or I'll decide I really hate it and chop it off at my next hair appt.