In mid-October, after the mad rush of company had subsided, Paul and I made a trek down to the local furniture store to test-drive some couches. At the time, the "sale" was $100 off any purchase of $750 or more. Not much of a discount when you're purchasing a new suite of living room furniture. We had an invoice written up as a hold on the three pieces we decided to buy but told the salesman that we'd be back when the sale was better.
Today as I was flipping through the newspaper, I noticed a 10% off coupon valid today only at the furniture store. So, Paul and I made another little trip down to the furniture store where fortuitously, the salesman was standing next to the door we walked in. And he was generous enough to give us the additional 5% off for military personnel in honor of Veteran's Day.** We would have been happy with just the coupon but we're not one to argue with the extra money off. (And I'm sure he more than made up for it in commission.)
After just a bit of clickity-clickity on the computer, Paul and I are now the proud owners of this couch as well as the matching recliner. We opted to purchase the larger size of this chair--it's a little wider and taller so my little wider and taller husband fits comfortably in it but it doesn't swallow me. We also decided on a smaller accent chair and ottoman--the fabric is a dark sage green chenille with a small dark red pattern. All this will be delivered to our humble abode the first weekend in December. At least the chairs will be--the couch might not make it until the first of January. We're not sure how that will figure into our annual neighborhood holiday party. Maybe we'll have the neighbors BYOC.
**We are giving our current couch and love seat to one of my friends who is currently active duty in the Air Force (military intelligence). She served her second tour in Iraq from May to September. Just a few days after her arrival back home, her husband of two years told her he didn't want to be married any more. As they are both just 24 and still in the starting-out phase, they didn't have much to divvy up and because of her next assignment, she opted to let him have the furniture. She's now rooming with my friend Devlyn (a mutual friend of ours) as Devlyn has a small casita at her house. Paul and I were already talking about buying new furniture when I learned of her divorce so I offered her our current seating whenever we got the new stuff. She's going to put it in storage until her next assignment which will be a move to Idaho in June.
Monday, November 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I like what you chose --- and how generous of you to give your old set to a friend. I know I met her at the JL Convention in Houston. I know you will miss her when she goes to Idaho. Why Idaho? What's in Idaho?
She'll go to Las Vegas for a specialized training for 6 months and then her assignment following that is at one of the AF bases in Idaho outside of Boise, I believe. I will admit that I'm not very up on my knowledge of military bases in Idaho. :)
I like the furniture you chose. Very nice!!
Love that furniture... It'll look great in your house.
She's being stationed in Idaho, correct? That ought to be fun for a single gal... woohoo!
The furniture looks so great! Not much better than breaking in a new couch with some snuggles!
Post a Comment