Friday, December 29, 2006

Snow 2.0

Another week, another snow storm. Since we're not Denver, I think New Mexico has only warranted a passing comment on the national news about the snow storm we're getting. It started yesterday afternoon at our house but we didn't have any accumulation until overnight. The snow started falling in earnest mid-morning and has been steady since. We've gotten about 8 inches so far, and probably another half-inch since we shoveled the driveway at 4:00. And being good people, I shoveled our next door neighbor's drive as well. She can be a bit, um, crabby and will probably tell us we did it wrong. But in the spirit of goodwill toward men, I did it anyway. We chatted with a variety of neighbors when we were outside, each wandering out to shovel or just take a little stroll, all of us going a little stir crazy from being cooped up all day and needing to venture outside for a little fresh air and activity.

The local news stations are thrilled at the fact that there is weather! road closures! something to report! Each station has reporters stationed across the city and the region, braving the elements, many armed with rulers to measure the depth of the snow. One even had a thermometer so we would know exactly what the temperature was at 1-40 and Tramway. Exciting stuff, I tell you. The winter storm warning for the area is in affect until tomorrow afternoon, giving the stations at least 48 more hours of material (because they'll have to cover us all digging out when the snow finally stops).

Paul and I did venture out to the grocery store this morning, before the snow got too deep. Paul made me drive, in hopes that eventually I'll become a less nervous snow driver. On the drive down to the grocery store (a whole mile from our house), a coyote darted in front of the car. It startled me but happily, I didn't slam on the brakes. Just applied steady, even pressure like one is supposed to do in snowy weather. It's not that I don't know what to do--I just tend to forget everything when I'm actually in the situation. But we made it to and from with no problems even with the added obstacle of wild life. And as a double bonus, the trainer called to cancel our afternoon meeting with him (which we were going to do but he called first) so we didn't need to get out again and we didn't have to exercise.

Since I knew we wouldn't be going any place for the next two days, I wanted to get all the needed groceries for what Paul calls my "uber-cooking" days--the one day I spend every few months replenishing our freezer with pre-made meals. It was one of the projects I wanted to complete during the waning days of Winter Break. I know I could go to one of the many "make-your-meal" places that dot the city and it would be less mess and work. But I actually enjoy cooking and this busy cooking day. There's just a certain satisfaction that come with looking in the freezer and seeing all I accomplished. We now have two kinds of soup, chili, marinara, meatballs, and mac and cheese all ready for those nights when I'm too tired/lazy/busy to cook. I did forget a couple of ingredients so some of my other "standards"--breaded chicken, ziti, and a chicken dish--and another dish or two I want to make will have to wait until I can make another trip to the store. I recently purchased the new Real Simple cookbook specifically because there is a section on freezer meals. One of the soups I made today is a new dish from that cookbook--Mushroom Barley Soup. I had a bit for my lunch and liked it. Hopefully Paul will as well--he's worse than most small children when it comes to introducing new flavors and dishes.

Tomorrow, all of the Christmas decorations will be coming down. I'm still enjoying the Christmas tree but if I'm afraid that I don't take them down now, it will be March and the tree won't look quite as festive over Spring Break. I also feel the need to give the house a good scrubbing. I never did finish laundry on Wednesday so that's also on the list. I really hope the snow does clear up tomorrow. We've invited friends over for dinner/game night for New Year's Eve (another reason for the flurry of house cleaning). The evening will probably end by 10:30 so we can all be cozily tucked into bed before the crazies come out.

In the meantime, the snow continues to fall--we'll be back out in the morning shoveling the driveway and sidewalk in a repeat of last week--but inside, we're warm and cozy with popcorn and hot cocoa.

And here's another picture from the first day of last week's storm. Pretty much what it looks like today as well.

1 comment:

telfair said...

Oh my gosh -- I had no idea you guys were getting precip. I'm rather jealous -- here in Michigan we've had one (1) snowfall this winter, which is just absolutely nuts when we're usually digging out every day.

The whole thing sounds very cozy -- enjoy your little weather holiday and all of those delicious dishes you wisely prepared.