Saturday, December 30, 2006

Historic proportions

Almost two feet of snow at our house. Pretty much all of ABQ is closed--restaurants, churches, the airport, the malls. Snowfall records that stood for almost 50 years have been broken--over 15 inches at the airport, 12 inches on the Westside, 24 inches in the NE Heights. But everyone we've encountered outside is cheery and enjoying the weather. Paul called me to one of the windows this morning so I could watch one of our neighbors make a snow angel in the middle of the street. I think all the grouchy people stay inside when there is bad weather.

We shoveled another 8-10 inches off the driveway and sidewalk this morning. That first day I was out shoveling? And I said it was a novelty and "fun"? Yes, well, it's not fun any more. It's hard work. And I'm done with shoveling snow for another 5 years. Paul and I were discussing buying another snow shovel for the once-a-decade we get more than a few inches so both of us can be out clearing. I'm not sure there are any shovels to be had in town now. And I think our next-door neighbor is still out of town for the holidays so I didn't clear her driveway again. Maybe tomorrow.

An easy way to get a privacy wall that is two feet taller.

Under that drift, one of our Christmas presents is just visible--the Gnome-be-Gone with Flower (thanks again, Amy!)

It didn't get much higher before it toppled off the top of the chiminea.

Yet again.
(I should have taken a picture of Paul because he did more than I did this go-around.)
A little top-heavy.

2 comments:

Lunasea said...

Geez. That's insane.

amanew said...

I must say, that Gnome-be-Gone is quite the garden cutie. So glad you are enjoying it.
Please send a picture whent it is not covered in snow also.