Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Day 5: The Day After

I like what one of my friends said on her Facebook status this morning--- (she) hopes the people who expect everyone to be happy this morning remember how the left has behaved for the past 8 years before they get indignant.

I have to agree. But I have to add that I hope those on the right will rise above the behavior of the past 8 years and while they may not embrace the man or his positions, they will respect that Obama has the best intentions at heart. (Yeah, I thought the same of Bush. I still think he was surrounded by a bunch of idiotic yes-men who went along with his extremely idiotic schemes. Maybe I am too much of a Pollyanna.) I'm so thankful the election has ended and I hope that the country will look forward and that we can be done with with the sniping, the anger, the nonsense.

Paul and I both voted for a 3rd party candidate--a little protest of two on the way this election season has gone. I know that some will say we essentially voted for Obama with that vote but I don't see it that way. I see it as having a chance to say that I didn't like either candidate and I don't like what is going on with the two major parties. And the great thing about this country is that I can do just that. So much time and money has, in my opinion, been wasted. Was anything accomplished in the past 21 months that couldn't have been accomplished in six months? Was all the money spent really necessary in this day of viral video and instant communication? Did it change anything? What good could it have been used to accomplish? If anything, the past two years have served to make this particular voter become disillusioned, cynical, and slightly apathetic with the entire process. I'm tired of how major partisanship has become. I'm tired of being considered part of the Evil Empire because I have more conservative leanings with some liberal ideas thrown in just to tweak my family (I've heard too many times how the "good guys" won). I'm tired of having my intelligence questioned because I didn't identify with either of the major parties (apparently, Independents are ignorant. I'd argue differently.). I like who McCain used to be--back when he was considered too liberal for the Republicans to nominate in 2000. I'm worried about all the rah-rah surrounding Obama--I don't believe many of his campaign promises will work out for the best for me and my small-business owner husband but I'm willing to give him a chance. I understand the historical implications of this race and I'm proud that I was able to be a part of it. Someday I'll be able to tell our children that yes, I remember this day and how interesting and amazing the time was. And then I'll explain the idea of the third party to the poor sap who has Paul and me for parents.

As for the president-elect, all I can do is what I would do no matter what last night's outcome had been. That is pray. I fervently believe in the power of prayer. I don't agree with the email I received that said we needed to pray for the "right man" to be elected (i.e. McCain). I think at that at that point, we would be asking for God's will to be changed. Instead, I will pray for this country and its return to greatness. I will pray that President Obama will surround himself with wise counsel and make decisions that strengthen the country. I pray that party lines will give way to a UNITED America. I pray that as a country, we continue to work toward the more perfect union outlined by our forefathers. And I hope that others will join me in that prayer (and I respect that not everyone is the praying type and if you don't pray, send out positive energy and good kharma and white light and whatever else works for you).

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

5 comments:

Patsy said...

Well said.

Natalie said...

Amen, Sistah.

amanew said...

I will pray for Obama. But I have a faith in the true Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

telfair said...

Although I think we might be on slightly different sides of this issue, I think your post was extremely thoughtful and well-written and I certainly respect your feelings. Especially in regard to the $$ spent on this campaign, and the time it spent. I also think the idea of a strong third party is a good one.

I think that the beauty of our process is that everyone is encouraged to vote for the candidate that is most in line with the issues they personally hold dear. That's the whole point! I am a fervent Democrat but I also know that my issues are different than other people's issues and everyone should be voting based on their own best judgment. I don't back down from expressing my viewpoint, but I wouldn't try to change anyone else's vote or mind because basically I think that's just pointless and presuming. I can't dictate what issues someone else thinks are important. We should be respecting everyone's individual preferences and rights to vote as they see fit. In the end, the majority rules. I had to live with 8 years of an administration I didn't agree with, now there's a different one, the pendulum swings back and forth and at some point, someone is going to be unhappy but we're all participants in this process and have to respect each other and work together.

I will add that I think it's important for candidates to run campaigns that reinforce those tenets. It might be too much to hope for but that also strongly influences my view on the best person for the job.

I will also be sending out positive thoughts that the country can come together in a non-partisan way and work together to fix what is badly broken.
Great post, sorry to hijack your comments but it really caused me to muse out loud!

Carrie said...

I whole-heartedly agree with what you say about being respectful of each other's opinions. I think that is definitely something that has been lost in this country. Perhaps my viewpoint is a bit jaded because I hang around middle school students all day who are ignorant at best about the topics and have a bunch of hormones and top-the-story thrown in but it's frustrating to hear the put-downs of one candidate over another because they just don't get it. It's OK to like different candidates! It's what great about this country!

As for how I identify myself politically, I'm either a very liberal conservative or a very conservative liberal. Either way, I much find myself agreeing with positions on both sides but not enough to fully commit to either one. I'm not a flip-flopper because I know what I believe and I'll defend my position as best I can. But I'll never get to vote in a primary because I'm registered as an Independent for that exact reason.