Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day 15: Saturday

Today has been pleasantly busy for me, filled with little projects to pass the time. Unfortunately, Paul hasn't been able to join me with any of it. There was some type of issue at work and he had to go in. It's not unusual but I always feel bad when I see how beat down and tired he is. I asked him today if it was still worth it (being "the boss") and he said it still is but it would be nice to just be able to finally have a break. I couldn't agree more.

This morning, Paul left for an early morning haircut and I was left at home to wait for a package he was expecting to help deal with the issue at work. It didn't arrive while I was waiting but because he didn't believe me, Paul checked outside the door just in case. He didn't find his package but he did find a little canister of cookies and a note from our neighbors Ronald and Lee Ann. I'd sent Lee Ann a little card wishing her well at her new job and thankfully she found it as amusing as I did (it was actually a birthday card and although I know her birthday is in March, it was too funny not to send now). When I called her to thank her for the cookies, she let me know that they had heard a little more about the incident at our neighbors' house. Sadly (but thankfully, which isn't the "right" word but it kind of is), our neighbor did commit suicide. I had asked the school police officer about all the police on the scene and she said that most likely, given his position, it was a precautionary thing to have that many people there. Lee Ann has seen our neighbor briefly and she brought down a card for him that she's having all the neighbors to sign if they'd like.

Paul's package arrived just a little later so I was able to get the day started and stop my all-important task of sitting and waiting (not that I had to sit but I did). I didn't have lots to accomplish today, just enough to keep busy. Paul had to head up to work, which is where he still is at this time, almost 12 hours later. I did go up to visit with him for about 45 minutes this afternoon and even managed to do a little problem-solving for him. Not that I actually solved the problem--a chip was fabbed incorrectly and I figured out how it was wrong--but it got them to a starting point on fixing it.

This morning, I headed up to JLA's holiday bazaar. This is the second year of the bazaar--it is a much smaller, much more manageable replacement to the huge bazaar the JLA organized for many years. I had a good time--I went by myself this year (last year I went with my mother-in-law) but there were enough other Leaguers there as well as a friend from church that I wasn't a lonely shopper. I didn't intend to buy anything--just put in a necessary appearance because I am a Board member and need to support such things. Best laid plans. I did make it out of there spending under $100 but of the things I bought, I needed exactly none of it.

From there, I headed to Trader Joe's to get things for the week and start the holiday shopping. I got a few things for Thanksgiving--about a month ago, I bought a pack of baby sweet potatoes and yams. The evening I made them for dinner, Paul and I were talking about something and he wasn't paying much attention to what he was eating when suddenly he stopped and asked if there were more of the potatoes because they were good. So, we'll be having that with Thanksgiving dinner and I decided on a pumpkin pie as a second dessert. At least, I bought pumpkin to make a pie. If it is decided to have something else, then we can do that too. I'm very flexible in the area of dessert.

The evening has been pretty quiet. I haven't heard from Paul since I got home from his office--hopefully that is a sign that things are going well. Often he calls because he needs a break from the frustration of things not working. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is a good sign. He's going back up to work tomorrow. Nevermind. Just as I was typing this, Paul called to tell me that it's going pretty much as bad as can be expected. I don't know what the means for him or for this project but I'm sure it's more troubles. I'm so bummed now. I just wish for his sake that things would go right for a while and then for a while longer and that everyone would behave. I'd like to have my husband back for a bit.

In the meantime, made banana bread this evening. I also finally mounted and hung the St. Brigid's Cross I bought in Ireland. It is made from rushes from River Shannon. Paul says that it is probably just a line they used to get tourists to buy the things and it's really made from weeds from someone's backyard. Could be but at least they're Irish weeds. It is said to hang the cross in the rafters to protect the house from evil and want. I hope by the front door works just as well.

1 comment:

Patsy said...

The cross looks very nice. That reminds me that I need to get a hanger for the crystal seahorse I picked up in Waterford. Now would be a good time of year to find one.

Hopefully things will be a little calmer for Paul when we are there. I know Abby will want Uncle Paul around.