Monday, November 10, 2008

Day 10: Personal Day

Because we don't have school on Tuesday in honor of Veterans' Day, I opted to take a personal day today and spend a long weekend in Amarillo. (As an aside, I love how people in my family say the word veterans--it's more like "vetrins." My grandfathers are all vetrins of WWII. It's one of the words I have to think about to pronounce correctly. Along with nuclear because, yeah, if I'm not thinking, I say it like the President does.) Anywho, given what happened the last time I requested a personal day, the day I handed in that leave slip, I offered an explanation for it, even though legally, it's not required and honestly, I shouldn't have. I just didn't want a repeat of September's interregation.

My paternal grandfather isn't doing so well. I spoke to him on the phone on Wednesday and upon hanging up, called my sister Amy to cry. He's easily confused and tired and kept asking me where I was (not in a sad, pleading way; more in the "I don't think I've asked you this" confused way). I know that I am beyond blessed to have such longevity in my family--my first grandparent died when I was 33 and it was a step-grandparent at that. Truth be told, it's a mixture of longevity and short generation spans. But whichever it is, I've definitely enjoyed knowing my grandparents as an adult. But along with that blessing of age is the curse of seeing them be old. It's tough. It gives truth to the cliched saying that getting old isn't for the weak. But I'll be happy to keep them around as long as I can.

1 comment:

Patsy said...

And I'm so Texan I don't know for sure how they are supposed to be pronounced which doesn't say much for me does it.

We have been blessed with good health and longivity for the most part. I've always told you girls I was going to live forever -- and I just might. :)