Sunday, September 28, 2008

I think the hardest part is coming up with a catchy title

I think I'm running out of things to write about. Life has pretty much settled into a mundane routine and work has settled down as much as I think it ever will. I've still resigned myself to finding a new job and/or continuing with an MLS. So while I'm working putting those things in motion, I don't have much left to say. I'm finally almost better. I thought I felt fine yesterday and I think my "big" day of laundry, grocery shopping, Target, and an evening hike with Paul was too much because after dinner, I felt crummy again. Today, I think I've pretty much shaken off whatever it was that ailed me because I've felt good all day. :::knock on wood:::

After church today, we had lunch with friends from church who are in our small group/Sunday School class. We were discussing how our SS class has gone from a group of about 15-20 to pretty much just the four of us and why that is. There have been several who have moved away, a couple who have just fallen away, and many others who have stopped coming because they are "too busy." What's frustrating is that we've tried to cater the class to encourage those people to continue to come to class--moving from a book lesson to a video lesson, keeping the class time, etc. There are many couples in our church that are our age--we see them and we've talked to them--and yet, we apparently aren't doing something right to get them to come to more than just the worship service. Knowing Paul's schedule (and that Keith travels pretty much M-F most weeks), we're trying to determine what exactly makes someone "busy." He doesn't do anything else with church because of his schedule but spending two hours a week at church is something that even Paul feels he needs to carve into his schedule. It's a downtime for him to spend with others. We've discussed visiting other churches--the reason we opted to go to St. John's was because it is where Paul grew up and where his parents attend--but I don't know if there are active 25-40 year olds at any church aside from the big churches in town, which don't really appeal to us. Keith and Dana are discussing moving back to the Southeast to be closer to family after Baby #2 makes an appearance in March. I don't know what we'll do then. Pray about it, I guess.

And then on the way home, we saw a lady flossing her teeth while we were at a red light. I'm all about good dental health but that's just weird.

This week is just busy enough. On Monday, I'm taking the afternoon off to help out at the JLA Golf Tournament. I've not worked one in the past because they are held on weekdays. But as I've got two or three personal days, 16 weeks of sick leave and not much dedication to the job, I decided I can afford a little do-gooder time. And my resolve to take ALL my personal time, and maybe use up some of that sick leave, became even stronger when my principal questioned my taking the half-day PERSONAL leave when I handed in the leave slip. I understand the school is under corrective action and absences are being monitored but it's a half-day and it's my personal leave time. I could take that time to run naked down Montgomery or just take a really kick-ass nap if I so desired. She had no right or any reason to question me, especially when I have obviously shown (with my accumulated weeks of leave time) that I'm not one to abuse the system. Whatever. She really got me going when she saw the second slip for another half-day of personal leave the day before an inservice. Not FOR the inservice day itself but the afternoon BEFORE. Yes, I did miss an inservice last year because we were in Jamaica but I discussed it with her as soon as I saw the conflict in August. I've never not shown up for an inservice and I even stayed for the entire painfully useless inservice last week. It is exasperating when I do things as required and I get questioned for it knowing that I could abuse the system like some of my coworkers and nothing would be said to me.

The rest of the week is shaping up with a meeting on Tuesday evening, a much-needed haircut on Wednesday, and our anniversary on Thursday. We may or may not have a Balloon Fiesta kick-off party to attend on Friday and Saturday is the start of the Balloons! I don't know if we'll go this year--after last year's whirlwind visit-o-rama, we don't have any company this year. I'm trying to convince Paul to go next Friday when I've got Fall Break for the Special Shapes launch. It's my favorite day to go. And if I can't find someone to go with me, I might just go by myself. Hmph.

A couple of weeks ago, we heard the tell-tale "thunk!" that indicates a bird had flown into one of our living room windows. It's not an uncommon occurrence. One summer, we had a hummingbird--a green fellow--that hit one of the windows once a week or more. He'd lay in the yard for a bit until he got undazed when he'd fly off. I never figured out which neighbor had the fermented nectar but the cat enjoyed watching the bird. After this particular thunk, Paul looked outside and said that there was a really big bird on our back wall. A really big bird known as a hawk:

Apparently, it has been chasing the bird when the bird flew into our window. The bird was laying in the yard, dazed and confused, and the hawk was watching it. Paul and I stepped outside to see if we could see the bird and the hawk flew over to the house across the street to watch the bird. The hawk gave up after a bit of me standing outside and the bird flew off a little later.

Huh. Maybe I'm not running out of things to say.

3 comments:

Patsy said...

The bird story made me smile. You never run out of stories to tell.
I on the other hand never find a story to tell. Enjoy the day. :)

FishStikks said...

I enjoyed reading about your fermented birds and I really love the picture you took of that amazing hawk.

If this story is an indication of you not having anything to say I can only imagine the humdingers you share when you do have something, hehe.

Loni said...

I agree with the above two comments. :)

I really enjoy reading your blog and who else has birds flying into their windows (besides you and us)? We had a male cardinal that saw his reflection and kept attacking the window. He even left a scratch with his pointy little beak.

At least you took pictures and told a good story about it. I just put some ugly tissue paper over the window.