P: You know what kind of cake I like? It's yellow cake but it's not fruity. What's it called?
C: Yellow cake.
P: Right. But NOT the kind that tastes like lemon. What is it?
C: Yellow cake.
P: Right but what is it called?
C: y-e-l-l-o-w c-a-k-e
P: OK. It's a yellow cake and it's really good with chocolate frosting but it's not fruity.
C: Yes, yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
This continued on for a bit until I finally convinced Paul that I wasn't simply repeating him but the cake was indeed called yellow cake. Paul has been requesting yellow cake with chocolate frosting for some time so I made him a homemade version yesterday as a belated birthday cake. I've made cakes from scratch before but this was the first time I'd made this recipe from the March/April Cook's Illustrated.
The real fun was the chocolate frosting from the same issue (recipe below). Again, it wasn't difficult to make but I managed to have it all over the counter, everything on the counter, me.
But, behold. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting for Paul:

It was very good although I'll need to tweak the cake recipe a bit for our high altitude. Paul was working at the office with a couple of coworkers yesterday afternoon so I took the cake up to work for him to share (and leave most half of it for people to eat tomorrow).
And the very appreciative recipient:

This was very good but we'll not discuss how bad it is for you.
Foolproof Chocolate Frosting
20 Tbsp. (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (4 ounces) confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
pinch table salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 ounces chocolate (milk, semisweet, or bittersweet), melted and cooled slightly
In food processor, process butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl, then add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 seconds. Frosting can be used immediately or up to 3 hours in advance. For longer storage, refrigerate, covered and let stand for 1 hour before using.
7 comments:
Yellow cake with milk chocolate frosting is my favorite, too. I've also heard it called Butter Cake 'cause it's got so much butter in it. I love the batter and always request to "lick" the bowl (as we used to say as kids.)
Yours looks really yummy and rich.
:)
Homemade frosting is the best --- although I've been known to eat a tub of the store bought kind without it ever making the cake. One should admit that sort of thing? Good for you to make a yellow cake for Paul, belated or not. I love the "who's on first" routine also. You guys crack me up. :)
That should say, *Should one admit that sort of thing?* Its early here I can't think straight yet. :)
Since confession is good for the soul, perhaps "One should admit that sort of thing?" was correct after all....
mmmmmm yellow cake with chocolate icing. Probably gained weight just thinking about it.
I do believe that most people would have to admit that yellow cake with chocolate frosting is at least in their top cake favorites. I know it is mine, a couple of years ago the kids and David made me one in the shape of a flower.
I totally heart yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I wish I had people (like an office full of people) to make it for because if I made it just for me so I could "freeze" part of it for later, it would never make it to the freezer, I'm afraid.
Donna,
That is so true...nothing good like cake and chocolate ever actually make it to the fridge!
And I also agree that homemade frosting makes the cake.
Thanks for sharing the recipe, Carrie!
Post a Comment