Imagine my surprise when I came home today to find our bushes trimmed. Not really trimmed so much as shorn. They look like little grass nubs. Utter confusion turned to anger as I looked at the letter and realized it had only been eight days since the letter was mailed. We still have at least two days to comply if we were going to. It was one of those shaking mad while dialing the phone number for the HOA compliance officer and just let into him, telling him that it hadn't been 10 days and this trim job looks ridiculous and yes, we know we needed to do it but they grow quickly because they're right next to the downspout and it's been raining so it's an ongoing battle and it hadn't been 10 days and. When I took a breath finally, he explained that he just writes the letters but the HOA doesn't do anything about the violation. They weren't the ones who trimmed the things. Oh. OK. So I sheepishly apologized for my outburst and said that I would call my neighbor next door who was probably responsible. And did I mention I'm sorry for yelling at you?
I took a few deep breaths and walked next door where my neighor was on the phone, leaving an apology on our machine for the grasses. She had had some yardwork done and since we never really know who is actually responsible for the grasses (we've taken turns in the past trimming them back) and she suggested that he trim the grasses so they looked like such. She said she was pretty shocked when she saw what they looked like when he was done (it's kind of like he was trying to get them straight and just kept cutting until the grasses were nubs). We chatted for a while, I told her about the compliance letter, and as we were talking, I realized that it probably wasn't her who made the complaint but the neighbor across the street who did it (she apparently questioned the ownership of the grasses a few weeks ago to our next-door neighbor). Next-door neighbor and I chatted for a while longer, she apologized again for the nubs, and sent me home with some pears from her tree as a peace offering (a yummy peace offering).
And looking on the brightside, we won't have to trim the grasses again for a couple of years:

6 comments:
Maybe he'll think twice before sending you a letter next time. :) Thank goodness you got some pears out of all this, and fresh one at that.
Okay that made me laugh. I am soooo very happy to not live with a HOA. :)
I may have to add this to the things that have made me laugh this week!
That was funny, Carrie. Our HOA left our friend Mike a notice after one of the bad storms in the spring that tore down half his fence. Less than a week after the storm (and Mike had already contacted a fence company but they were pretty booked - DUH) he got the notice saying, basically, "your fence is down - fix it". I told Mike he should call and say, "Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for bringing that to my attention - I had NO freakin clue half my fence was gone.".
That's too funny! I've joked that I'm going to send an email to the compliance officer, apologizing again for yelling at him and asking, oh, by the way, would you mind having our neighbor PAINT HIS GARAGE?
You should do that!
Post a Comment