Friday, July 11, 2008

limericks inspired by Limerick

As I mentioned in my post about our time in Ireland, the tour guide had us come up with limericks to be read as we drove to Limerick. I don't know if she had thought of this before she heard Mom and me discussing it but I told Paul that I was taking credit even if she'd already thought of it because I think she bogarted my idea.

Now, I have never claimed to be a great writer of poetry or fiction (or even a great writer of blogs). I had a VERY generous creative writing professor while in college (it was a required class which is the only reason I even attempted it). I think she passed me only because my sentences were grammatically correct. Heaven knows it wasn't because I was a stellar writer. Throw in the fact that, as I always tell my students, I'm much funnier in my head and I present two limericks I wrote on the bus. I gave Paul author credit because even though he didn't really help, he was pretty patient as I repeatedly asked, "what rhymes with _____? What about this? Why won't you HELP ME?!?" (Oh, and these are edited to remove the name of the tour group which is why the first line isn't totally rhythmically correct.)

In Ireland while on a tour
We wandered from pub door to pub door
A few pints of bitter
Another--I'm no quitter
Bloody rubbish! Why am I on the floor?

In Ireland while on a tour
Uneven steps made walking a chore.
In Blarney, a slip
Did cause us to quip,
"Faulty tower! Don't mention the war!"

3 comments:

Donna said...

:::giggle::: Those are great!

But, I thought limericks all had to start with "there once was a girl from Nantucket..."

Kidding, just kidding (about the Nantucket bit, not about your limericks being good).

Stephanie said...

Carrie, I LOVE those!! Very witty.

Patsy said...

You really should have won. :)
and mine

In Ireland on a frig'n bus tour
From my shyness I searched for a cure
A castle of rock
I climbed to the top
But with Guiness that boldness 'twas secure.

OK, I edited one last time. :)