Monday, April 21, 2008

I won't win but still

A student just delivered an invitation to the NJHS Induction & Awards Ceremony next week with a note saying I've been nominated for Educator of the Year. In my nine years of teaching here, this is probably the seventh such note I've received. I've never won. I'm the Susan Lucci of my school.

The first couple of years, I eagerly attended the ceremony, putting on something nice and gussying up, thinking I might have a chance to win. Then I would attend but not doing much beyond freshening up my lipstick, having less confidence in the idea that I could win. The last few I've blown off attending in favor of claiming my rightful place on the couch (plus I'd heard prior who won and I didn't agree with the choice the students made--not because of sour grapes but because I didn't think it was a good choice). I'll go to this year's ceremony because I'll need to take pictures for the end-of-year video.

But I'm not dressing up.

7 comments:

Patsy said...

But at least you were nominated. More than I ever got. :) Not that I have any sour grapes either.

telfair said...

This might be your year! I have a good feeling about it!!

Donna said...

So, maybe, just maybe... eh, it's an honor just to be nominated. Personally, I think anyone who can teach midschoolers and do it well should win an award. :)

Carrie said...

Eh. I doubt it. Usually they call the spouse of the winner to attend the ceremony. I asked Paul if he's supposed to go with me--he said he hadn't heard anything. Although they might not actually vote until Wednesday. Hmmm. . .

Stephanie said...

Carrie, the Susan Lucci comment made me laugh! I agree with Donna! :-) I will still wish you good luck.

Lunasea said...

Maybe you should put on some lipstick, just in case.

It's an honor just to be nominated, and all that jazz blah blah blah.

Melissa said...

Just keep the lipstick in your handbag in case you need it. ;-)