Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day One pictures

OK, I found the cables and the camera. Most of this won't make sense if you're not standing in the middle of the mess. It reminds me of all the pictures we took when our house was under construction--I know what it is I'm looking at. Paul might even have an idea. The rest of the world--not so much. Although, when we did our remodel two years ago, the contractor was actually quite pleased with the whole mess of pictures as it gave him a better idea as to some construction things and placement of beams, etc. He was probably the only person who was happy to see that album be brought out.

Looking at the sink and the backside of the bar. They had to put in new supports for the bar top (those will be tiled over) and notch out portions of the sides of the cabinet fo the new sink. On either side of the sink (between the sink and the dishwasher and the sink and the outside edge) was hollow. Paul was trying to figure out how to create new "hidey-holes" there. I made him just walk away from that scheme.
No countertops = very easy to get silverware and utensils. When the contractor pulled out the junk drawer (not pictured thank goodness), he laughed and asked if I could fit anything else in there. Why yes, yes I can. What's great about that drawer is when they came for the final pre-construction meeting on Friday, none of the three reps for the contractor had a tape measure. I opened that drawer and in 0.2 seconds had produced a tape measure for them.
Makeshift countertop for making breakfast this morning. I am taking most of my meals in my room currently. Which sounds better than "Nothing like a hamburger scarfed down in the bedroom."
So this really won't make sense if you aren't standing in the kitchen but this is looking behind the sink cabinet between the bar and the back of the cabinet. When we built the house almost 8 years ago (we broke ground on March 2, 2000), Paul and I both commented when this portion was being constructed that it didn't seem "right." We were both pooh-poohed and told that it was fine. We're assuming the electrical inspector didn't see the exposed wires (just above the pipes in the photo) when he stopped by. Either the builder did end up having to make changes because it wasn't correct and the wires were left hanging or we were right and it wasn't correct when it was constructed and the wires were left hanging. Either way, this isn't quite kosher. But we're just going to cover it back up and pretend we haven't seen it.

No more silly windows in the living room. We all agreed that it would probably be easier to cover the decorative hoo-ha over the mantle than try to take it down. The wall is painted red and then I made the frame and hung the decorative grate, which weighs in at a cool 40 lbs. It's screwed to the wall with four big old screws. It took some acrobatics to get it up and I wasn't looking forward to trying it again. (Basically, I told Paul to not watch as I stood with one foot on the ladder and one on the TV to hang the frame--OSHA, smosha)
The current state of the living room. I had to move the drop cloth on the recliner and the television so I could watch last night's Dancing with the Stars. Hey, I'm on Spring Break and have no shame about watching junky television (not that I have any shame about watching it when I'm not on Spring Break). I'm just a little bummed that I didn't stay up later and watch the season premiere of The Hills.
No more windows, as seen from outside. Hopefully the lath and stucco will be up before the end of the week. Here's hoping for warmer weather this week. . .
The second goofy-now-nonexistant window. Honestly, these windows just made no sense and I wish I'd said something 8 years ago. Live and learn.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Wow, looks like controlled chaos! I'm glad that you're getting rid of the "eye" windows. I swear, when in your living room, it looked like a face with the windows and fireplace/TV looking back at you! LOL

Loni said...

It's so fun to see that you are getting to make the changes that you want to your home. It's also fun to know that it's your house and not mine. I will be super jealous when it's done, I'm sure!

Praying for warmer weather!