Thursday, January 17, 2008

A sad one to write

We learned this morning that Paul's grandmother died last night. Even though it wasn't unexpected, we were both still shocked when we got the news. Two years ago when we were in Kansas for the 70th wedding anniversary celebration, Paul's cousin Kim, her husband Ben, and I were talking about Grandmother saying she was going to die soon. I said then that while we knew we would be going to Kansas for a funeral sooner than any of us would like, she'd been saying she was dying for the past 15 years or so. At our wedding reception, Reva commented that she didn't think she'd live to see great-grandchildren. Happily, she got to see five of them and we got to enjoy eight more years with her. She was 93 years old.

The funeral will be on Monday morning in Wamego. Because Paul has to travel again next week, we're not certain if we'll be able to make another trip to KS. His mother told us we shouldn't worry since were were there just a few weeks ago but I think both of us would like to go. Paul's brother is planning to go and I'm sure a cousin or two will be there as well. We won't have overwhelming guilt if we don't go but it just seems like we should if at all possible. I didn't ask how Owen is doing--as well as can be expected, I'm assuming. Owen and Reva had known each other since they were children and had been married for over 71 years. I would like to go to the funeral as much for him as anyone else.

Paul's grandmother was a wonderful woman who lovingly welcomed me into the family with a little note saying she was happy Paul and I were getting married and she hoped I would call her Grandmother because she considered me a granddaughter. She was obviously fond of her husband, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren and I think the feeling was reciprocated tenfold.

Sarah with Grandmother, June 2006
70th anniversary celebration, Louisville, KS

4 comments:

The Byrd said...

She sounds like a wonderful, wonderful woman. You are definitely in our thoughts.

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Carrie. Please give Paul my condolences. I know that even though it's not necessarily unexpected it's still sad and it's still a loss.

Loni said...

I am so sorry for the loss. It sounds like you gained so much from her. I can see that you will always remember her fondly.

Please know you and Paul and his family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Megan said...

I am so sorry to hear of Reva's passing. You, Paul and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.