I've never considered myself a terribly "hip" or "cool" person. I'm always had strong leanings to the nerdy side of life and even in high school, when I tried to be "all that," my true colors shone through more often than not. Do you realize how far your cool factor falls when you can't go on a date because you have a piano recital?
As I've gotten older, I have learned to embrace all that I am and just let my Nerd Flag fly. I have never had much desire to rebel against anything. I'm 33. I'm married. I drive one of the safest cars on the road. I have a cat. I'm a LIBRARIAN, for Pete's sake.
Which is why it's terribly amusing when a student told me "Peace out, miss!" on his way out of the library today. My student aides couldn't stop laughing at that because it's not something most people say to the school librarian. My aides honestly guffawed when I mentioned that on Friday, a student told me "Way to keep it real, Mrs. E." when I ordered a cheeseburger in the school lunch line. Um, yeah. I don't even know what that means but the student and I did a little fist bump because he was also getting a cheeseburger.
Keeping it real one. That's what I'm all about.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I guess a cheeseburger is better in the eyes of a junior high boy than the salad that teachers usually order. :) Way to be cool.
This made me laugh.
This reminds be of something a student said to me when I was teaching. I had gotten a new pair of tennis shoes and had worn them to school that day. One of the particularly "cool" students noticed them and told me they were "tight." I wasn't up on the lingo at the time, so I told him they weren't tight. They fit fine. He informed me that "tight" actually meant "cool." It's funny how each generation changes the definitions of words to fit into their slang.
:)
Yeah, well, I have to say you're way cooler than any librarian I ever had... Maybe the kids just recognize and appreciate your coolness... or is it tightness... or awesomeness... whatever the word for the week is, that's you!
Peace out, sis!
One of the oddest comments I've ever heard was when "pimp" first came into the vernacular to mean something was good (this being before "Pimp My Ride" was on MTV so I was even more clueless). It was when I was still in the classroom and for whatever reason, we were on the topic of the Lord's Prayer. One of the students referred to it as the "Our Father" which apparently triggered a recognition of what we were talking about to another student. That student pipes up with an "Oh, that prayer is PIMP!"
I took a couple of steps away in case God needed to smite the child for that comment.
Fo shizzle my fizzle!! I have NO idea what that means but thought it sounded cute... :-)
Post a Comment