School started back on Monday and I must admit that the first week back has gone really smoothly. Hopefully that is a good indication of the semester to come. ::::knock on wood:::: I finally finally got the magnetic strips and contraption to magnetize/demagnetize them for the books so after a YEAR, I'll be able to start using the security system in the library. All in good time. There are 20,000 of these strips. There are about 10,000 books in my library so I've definitely got plenty for the future. Or to surreptitiously stick on students and then get really cranky with them for taking things. Hey, a librarian has to get her kicks in some way.
I took the cat to the vet on Monday to have some blood work done for his dental appointment yesterday. The vet had a hard time finding a vein in either of his front legs and ended up having to draw it from his inner thigh. I jokingly commented that as mean as Jub is, the lack of blood was probably a strong indication that he is, in fact, a vampire. I mean, throw in his constant slinking around during daylight hours, spending as much time as possible under the bed, and I think the proof is pretty much there. I also reminded the vet and vet tech that when I'd had Jub neutered, he woke up fighting mad from the anesthesia.
I took the cat for his dental appointment on, dropping him off before work. When I left him, he was already pretty crabby since we'd had to pick up his food the night before. One thing that can be said for my cat is that Jub loves him some of the food. That boy doesn't miss many meals. I left him yowling at the vet's office after receiving instructions to call back after 1:00 to check on him. I called during my prep period, which conveniently started at 1:15 to learn that everything was fine and I could come claim my cat. Not wanting my poor baby to have to spend one more minute at the vet's office than necessary, and because the vet is not even 5 minutes from work, I ran over to pick him up at that time.
As I was paying, the vet tech heard the receptionist asking about Jub's carrier and stepped out from one of the exam rooms to let me know that I'd have to come back to get Jub. It seems he woke up fighting mad again. Not just fighting mad but hissing, yowling, growling and lunging mad and the vet tech didn't want to even try to pick him up. I quickly determined which kennel he was in--it was the only one covered by a towel. It was an unsuccessful attempt to calm him down. I managed to get him in the carrier only by shoving the carrier completely into the kennel and scooping him up that way. It took both the vet tech and me to get the carrier closed. I forgot to ask the vet, who was happy to see that we'd managed to get him in the carrier, about his teeth and which one was pulled or anything. Honestly, all three of us were laughing so at the cat and his antics that we forgot much of anything. Jub yowled and hissed the entire way back to school. I left the cat in his carrier in my office, where he'd hiss any time I walked by. I took him into the office after school to show off the beast and apparently all the cooing and fawning by my coworkers helped to calm him down. He voiced his displeasure with me a bit on the way home but by the time we made it to the friendly confines of our house, he was mostly done with the mad routine. Now he's to the ignoring stage. Give him a day or two and he'll come around to snuggling.
Jub, in happier days:
And here he is needing a belly rub. Or just teasing that he might be sweet enough to let you do that. If I'd tried to pet him at this point, he would attack my hand. He's not a very nice cat.
7 comments:
Our cat does that, too...showing off her totally rubbable tum and then viciously chomping on whatever hand is tempted to get too close!
Hee! Our cat used to do that. Funny memories. I used to take the towel from the top of the cage and throw it on top of the hissing beast. While he struggled to get it off of him, I'd grab him and stick him in the carrier. Cruel? Probably, but it worked! =)
If he hadn't gone into the carrier when I shoved it into the kennel, the towel was the next option. The final option was to just leave him there until he just got over himself. :)
I have to admit I'm not a huge cat person (sorry), but Jub is a cutie.
Poor Jubbers... I kinda know how he feels, though. Dental work is nasty.
I'm still tryin' to figure my cat out. He's affectionate at the most odd times. He's truly a "cat" considering that he knows exactly, and I mean with pin-point precision, exactly where my bladder is and pounces on it, first thing in the morning. Bugger!
We've all been sick, here in my house, but I've had it the worst. I just can't seem to shake this thing... which is why I've missed work, missed the blog(s), and missed just about everything for the last two weeks. Ugh!
I hope you (And the Jubman) are feelin' better.
:)
Luna--I'm not much of a cat person either. I'm more of a poor pathetic animal person which is how I ended up with Jub. If he'd been a dog, I'd be a dog person. :)
Natalie--Sounds like your kitten has the same temperament as Jub--affectionate on his own terms (which means not very often). Sorry to hear you've been under the weather! I used Paul's aunt's suggested treatment--Vick's on the bottom of your feet. I don't know if it was that or sleeping 18 hours a day but I was able to shake whatever pretty quickly. Hope you're back to 100% soon.
I am a cat person and this is excatly why I love cats. They are so darn full of personality.
I will try the vicks on my feet tonight. Every time I get into bed, I start coughing my head off. I am super tired and my longs hurt. Maybe the vicks on my feet instead of my chest will help. I am crossing my fingers!
Post a Comment