Monday, January 21, 2008

Home, again

Thankfully, the past two days turned out to be very easy as far as travel and weather goes. Southwest cooperated and had virtually-empty planes so we didn't have to deal with the stress of being crammed into the seats with all of humanity. The weather was clear so driving to Wamego was easy. It warmed up to a balmy 35 during the service so it wasn't too bad at the graveside since the funeral home had also set up a tent for the attendees that blocked the wind. Kim and Ben had a flight at the same time as Paul and I so we were enlisted to take them back to KC. A misty freezing rain started a little before we planned to leave so we all said our goodbyes and hugs and left a little early to beat the bad weather. Thankfully, we drove out of anything by Topeka and had an easy drive and a good visit on our way back to the airport.

Owen seems to be holding up well. There were some tears yesterday and today, which is to be expected. He's very tired because of all the visitors--in fact, he took a little nap during the service today (it was quiet and he was still). But however tiring we might have been to him, Owen was thrilled to have all of his family back home, even if wasn't under the best of circumstances. During lunch after the funeral, several of us giggled when we overheard him tell one well-wisher, "Well, I really just want to eat my cake." Anyone who knows Owen knows not to get between him and his sweets. It will be interesting to see how he continues to do. He and Reva were married for over 71 years and together for almost 80 years (they started dating when she was 13 and he was 15) and for as long as I've been around, he's always doted on her. He's planning to move out of the assisted living center when the weather warms up (apparently that was the agreement to get him to move in) and he's still sharp as a tack and wanting to be doing stuff back at the house. And it seems that if he has any say in the matter, we'll be eating some cake with him for a few more years yet.

During the service, my FIL was the soloist, something I think Reva might have requested before her death. I was surprised when I saw that because he wouldn't sing at our wedding because he'd "be too emotional." After the first song, Paul's cousin's little girl who is two and just one of the happiest kids I've ever met, offered up a big "Yay!" as it concluded. Beth had to be taken out of the service by her mom because she was laughing and chatting and just having a great time with the music and the people--not exactly funeral behavior but Reva would have loved every minute of her.

Emotionally, Paul and I are both pretty drained after the past two days (a big reason for my current headache). It was a nice funeral service--it was the first this preacher had ever done and she did a good job. I think some people, like Reva, make the job pretty easy. While we were eating supper tonight, I told Paul that the two funerals we've most recently attended make me feel like I really need to work on being a better person to replace just a teensy bit of what Reva and Sandy (MIL's best friend who died in August 2006) brought so seemingly effortlessly in their lives. I need to work on being slower to judge, slower to anger, longer in patience and goodwill. Just be a better person so that at my funeral, it will be an easy for the preacher to find good things to say.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I'm glad Owen is doing well... He (and the entire family) are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers right now.

Oh, and don't worry, we'll come up with something good to say about you. It won't be THAT hard. ;)

Lunasea said...

Aww, I'm sorry about Paul's grandmother - she sounds like a wonderful woman.

The deaths near me recently have also made me wonder what people would say about me at my funeral. I think I want more kindness, too.