Sunday, October 29, 2006

Corn Maze, October

Last weekend, Paul and I went with a group from our church to the local corn maze. The general attitude among the group was that even if this was a bust, at least it was a new experience for all of us.

We were given a map that quickly turned out to be utterly useless. Some (probably) teenage hooligans had gone through the maze and taken out the 10 informational guideposts. The Boy Scout troop that was putting the posts back didn't do too good at getting them back in the correct place. And they tuckered out before the task was completed so they put three posts side-by-side. Paul declared that I wouldn't have made a good teenage hooligan because I would have caused trouble by simply knocking the posts down not actually moving them which is, of course, the way a true hooligan operates. But Paul decided he would have made a great Boy Scout because he, too, would have stuck all the posts together although it would have been more to mess with the visitors to the maze.

It was an enjoyable afternoon and I hope Paul and I will go back again to future mazes. The group did decide that the corn maze might be better earlier in the season, when the corn stalks are still green and before other wandering groups had trampled new pathways. And before vandals and Boy Scouts got ahold of the guideposts. Despite our best wanderings, we never could find two of the posts.

Kate and Sam, who were leading the charge--this is shortly before they decided the map was completely and utterly useless

It was a beautiful October afternoon--cool, crisp air with beautiful, sunny blue skies

Looking through the corn stalks

Sandia Mountain as a backdrop for the changing leaves of the cottonwoods

No comments: