Monday, February 13, 2006

Rockin' the sweater vest

Me, circa 1987.

In addition to the extremely large glasses, please note also the peach Swatch and the friendship bracelet. Not visible in the photo are the pegged khakis and the boat shoes.

It helps when I explain that it was 1987 and that this is my 7th grade school picture. It doesn't help when I mention that in the school pictures taken in 1986 and 1988, I'm also wearing a sweater vest. The yearbook staff is putting pictures of the school staff in middle school in this year's book. This is the one they chose for me. It was apparently a toss-up between this one with those obnoxiously huge frames or my 1988 picture where I've got some obnoxiously big bangs (but contacts--I was so happy).

5 comments:

Donna said...

ah, but sis, I think you're beautiful -- then and now!

telfair said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I looked very similar in 1987 -- the only difference might have been the color of the Swatch!

Carrie said...

I tried telling the students that everyone looked basically the same in 1987--I wasn't some nerdy anomaly. I'm not sure they believe me.

Of course, they also didn't believe me when I told them they'd laugh at their own pictures in 15 years. They all look too "cool" for that to happen. They'll see...

Donna said...

If you really want to freak them out, show them my senior pics with the "wings" on the side of my head! I was soooo stylin' then!

I'm the MOM!? said...

Just please don't show them the picture of me.. I beg of you.