Monday, February 20, 2006

Personally, I like Millard Fillmore

Today is one of those lovely lazy Mondays. It's Presidents Day which means no school and nothing that HAS to be done. We met with our trainer early this morning, freeing the rest of the day for unemcumbered sitting. I really wanted to ask our trainer if we are the weakest people he works with. It's easy to sum up our physical fitness state in three words--no upper-body strength. None. Nada. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. For either of us. I was straining to bench-press 20 lbs. I am so weak.

Our trainer is an Army man. He "warms up" on curls with 60 lb. weights and works up to 90 lbs. I can't even pick up 90 lbs. of anything (and to be quite honest, 60 lbs. would probably cause me to get a hernia). But we're there and we're doing it and that's got to be worth something. I'm even getting less whiny about going. :::patting self on the back:::

P.S. Fillmore's wife Abigail was a teacher and started the White House library. So Fillmore might not have been much as a president but his wife was a good egg in my book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

abbey kicked butt - her husband,well....
i laughed when i saw this - my maiden name is fillmore and my mother's stamp of approval on any of my friends was "well, they seem like a good egg." oh goodness thanks for a great laugh

telfair said...

When you said your trainer was an ex-Army man, I got an image in my head of that guy who's on the History Channel show "Mail Call" -- the same one who was in the movie "Full Metal Jacket."

I hope your trainer is nicer, in real life, than the person I'm envisioning!!

Donna said...

I just keep thinking of the guy on Celebrity Fit Club -- I know, I know, but Sam watches all those "celebreality" shows on VH1 and it is like a train wreck in that you just can't look away. Anyway, they have a guy on there as the "trainer" who is a military guy/drill sergeant and NEVER smiles. That is who I envision everytime you talk about your trainer.

The good news is, the guy who is my trainer is 19 and adorably cute and man, is he cut! :::sigh::: It's too bad he's so young. I have a rule against dating anyone who could begin a story with "last year at prom..."

Carrie said...

Paul and I are pretty much convinced that Robby doesn't have much of a sense of humor at least when it comes to exercise. I've tried to convince him that shoulder blades should actually be called "angel wings" and he just stares at me every time I say this. He's nice--just all business.