Thursday, February 16, 2006

Around these parts, we call it Hairball Season

Since winter in the Land of Enchantment seems to have been two days in January, we're getting hints of the spring to come. There have been two fires in the bosque this week (the bosque is the cottonwood forest along the Rio Grande). Our high temperature yesterday was nearing 70 and the wind kicked up all kinds of nastiness and dirt. Paul and I have both been a bit under the weather with what I think are spring allergies. I read in the ABQ Journal this morning that humidity levels this week have been as low as 10% (the high end was 21%). I recently bought another humidifier for the house because I felt bad about shocking the cat any time I pick him up (not to mention needing to ground myself before I give my husband a kiss). And the students are already beginning to display signs of Spring Fever with their ever-increasing lackidaisical attitude about school.

But the worst part about spring? Hairballs. We already have a cat who is "prone to throwing up" and with the warm weather, he's shedding his winter coat. This wouldn't be too bad if he'd let us brush him but he doesn't. So we got to Plan B--this weekend, the cat is getting a bath. Ten minutes of fun times that end up with all three of us being completely soaked and the cat ignoring us for the next two days. Good times, good times.

Of course, there will be pictures taken and shared for all to see. I never can pass up the opportunity to humiliate the wee furball. I'm going to make a great parent some day.

No comments: