Monday, October 4, 2010

Week 23

Last week when I had my OB appointment, I asked about receiving the H1N1 shot. I had been debating as to whether or not I would even get the shot--this was the first year I've ever gotten the seasonal flu shot and I didn't even want to do that much (Paul has gotten one in years past). Because of the shortage, I hadn't done much to even try to locate a place to receive the vaccine. The doctor gave me the number of one of the county public health department locations where he knew vaccines would be delivered soon and I was able to get on a waiting list for the vaccine.


I had a phone call earlier this week to set up an appointment for myself. I threw Paul in just for good measure. He's more susceptible to getting whatever comes down the pike than I have ever been and even when we both get sick, he (honestly) gets it much worse than I do.


Our appointment was yesterday afternoon. Yesterday's appointments were primarily the OB patients so it was a parade of the pregnant and our families. The wait was minimal and we were rewarded with suckers for our troubles. I'm a little bummed that I didn't buy the "Got Condoms?" shirt that was on sale. Oh the irony of wearing that as a maternity top.


I'm glad such locations exist but it is definitely a different world than the one we normally inhabit. Paul was convinced everyone was looking at us. I don't think so but he says they were--because he was watching them watching us (and how boring that must have been because we aren't that interesting). I was slightly irritated at the lady giving us the shot when she looked at our paperwork and saw that we have private insurance. She made a comment about using them instead or some such thing. Yeah, we do have private insurance and a primary care physician and a list of specialists we've conveniently seen. But gosh darn it, I'm five months pregnant. Why can't I use the county's public health department if that is the first location with the vaccine available? It's a free service provided to the citizens of Bernalillo County of which I am one.

No comments: