Monday, October 4, 2010

Henry's (finally finished) room

For most of my pregnancy, I said we would deal with the baby's room starting in January.  Get through the little remodel project (where I last left off this place) and the holidays and then conquer that chaos.  What is now Henry's room spent the first five years as Paul's office until we remodeled and then it became a guest room/catch-all/overflow from Paul's office.  I didn't realize how much treasures Paul had stored in the closet.

It was quite an undertaking and the room wasn't quite cleaned out before Henry made his appearance. My mom came for a visit in late January to be at my baby shower and to do some little projects in the baby's room.  We installed a custom closet system and she thankfully volunteered to paint the nursery.  I loved the color of what had been the guest room.  It was an aqua blue but we repainted to a yellowy color after the remodel so it would better flow with the living room since it now opens up to that room.  I didn't select the same aqua color for Henry's room but a couple of shades lighter (and love it just the same).  Henry dropped when I was about 38 weeks pregnant and was sitting on my left hip, making walking pretty painful.    I'd gotten most of the furniture put together (it's almost all IKEA) but was having issues with the crib's bottom slats.  Paul's parents came over the weekend before Henry was born and helped finish the crib as well some other odds and ends projects around the house.  I spent the last two weeks before Henry was born doing a few little things that could be accomplished while crawling or walking as little as possible (making up the crib, folding/putting away clothes, etc).   Paul scoffed and told me to stop but was grateful when, during the first week after Henry was born, he commented to my mom that he really needed a burp cloth, pulled out a little basket and voila!  Burp clothes! Of course, I should have been packing a suitcase but that's a story for another time. . . .

When Henry started rolling a couple of months ago, Paul realized he had to get the rest of his stuff out of the room since there were cords and wires and other interesting things for babies.  That got me inspired to finally complete Henry's room. 
Looking in from the bedroom door.  The window faces east so Henry has a great view of the mountains.
Happy boy in his jumparoo.  I love the ABC print and the mirrors.  When Henry's outgrown the jumparoo, I hope to make this a little play area with a table and chairs.
Buckets with toys and books under the window--I'd intended to use brown as an accent color but found these at Target.  They were what I was wanting just in a different color.  And the more I look at them, the more I like the green accents in here.  And we don't call them polka dots but lizard spots (thanks, Paul).
I didn't know if I wanted a glider originally.  Henry slept in the bassinette in our room for the first two months and when we moved him into his bedroom, we put the small recliner from our bedroom in here as well.  Turns out,  Henry likes to rock/glide so we purchased this a couple of months ago.
Gratuitous picture of Jubjub
The crib and the prints from Henry's 1-month photo shoot.  I finally settled on the quote over his crib when I saw it was from Shakespeare's Henry VIII.   Putting it up was another project I saved for my mom to help with.
I made the pillow covers.  Sewing is a skill I don't let many people know I can do (it's not a favorite thing but I do enjoy it from time to time).  I also tailored the valance, joining two panels into one.  A friend made the stick horse that I purchased last December at a holiday fair because I knew it would coordinate with the bedding (and it is really cute and its name is Charger).
Henry's already well-stocked bookcase. :)  The giraffe print was one I purchased years ago and was one I knew I wanted to hang in the nursery.  We used the animals/polka dots bedding because of this print.
The changing station and dresser.  Burp clothes are in the basket on the left. :)
Vignette shot because I was getting arty while taking these pictures.

Another arty shot.  The picture of Henry and Paul was taken in the hospital when Henry was about 24 hours old.  Melts my heart every time I look at it.
We think he likes his room as well.
So six months after he made his appearance, that is Henry's finally finished room that will, of course, never actually be finished as it will grow and change with him.  It isn't quite what I'd first envisioned when I started thinking of how I wanted the nursery--I was considering a mural or polka dots on the wall and different artwork.  None of that happened and that's OK.  While it's not as fancy as originally planned, both Paul and I have found ourselves sitting in there just enjoying what a happy little room it is.

2 comments:

sara said...

I have to say, this is the cutest and the most functional baby room I've ever seen! My nursery started out cute, but was totally nonfunctional so ended up being torn apart and rendered functional, but NOT cute. Kudos on finding the perfect balance!

PS - Henry is BEAUTIFUL!!! Such a jolly, happy, gorgeous boy! <3

Lunasea said...

Oh my goodness, that's so cute! Love it.