Given reports about the onslaught of applications at passport offices and long processing times, Paul and I are working on getting our passports well in advance of our trip in September when we will actually need them. As is always the case with us, it was a comical process just trying to fill in the form. Filling in the parental information, I realized that I didn't know my deceased father's birth year which isn't too bad since he died when I was two. Paul didn't know the year either of his both-still-living parents were born. And he was a little cloudy on his father's birthday. And where both of them were born.
So, we got that paperwork filled out and started getting the other needed paperwork in order. Because I only have one certified copy of my birth certificate, I looked at getting a second certified certificate just in case the one I send in with the passport goes missing. The county clerk's office directed me to the official Texas Dept. of Health website where I learned it costs $22 to get a copy of your birth certificate. $22! Why? I'm a proud Texan. I'm glad to have been born and raised in that fine state. But $22 for my birth certificate? There is no reason that it should cost that much for me to get a copy of something that, in my opinion, should be free for me. Or at least cheaper--it's only $10 in New Mexico. I can get a copy of my transcript from Tech for free but not my birth certificate from the state. Nope. For that, I have to spend $22. And you can guarantee that I will complain about it the entire time. That thing better be on really nice paper.
Like gold-plated paper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maybe it's 'cause it has one of those big-ass, Texas stars on it?
lol
Evidently, in Texas, things are not only bigger but more expensive!
Yikes!
They have to make up for no state taxes somehow, right?
Where've you been? Everything okay? It's been a long time between posts.
I hope all is well!
Post a Comment