Wednesday, March 21, 2007

So, we're idiots but the IRS still sucks

Heh--we'll probably get audited again because of that title.

Once again, Paul and I prove to be the World's Most Incompetent People Masquerading as Adults. Seriously--how have we made it this far in life without major damage to ourselves or our bank accounts?

I spoke with a person at the investment company yesterday about our big ol' IRS bill. I did have the 2005 paperwork in front of me so I was able to see exactly what she was talking about when she said we probably forgot to claim the "return of principal" on the bonds (1099-B for those of you in the tax return know). I have no idea what that means or what that is but yep. We didn't claim it.

I remember having the conversation as to what to do with that particular item and then continuing on with the tax return, thinking we'd get back to it. Guess what we didn't get back to? Yep.

When Paul gets back into town on Friday, we'll figure out what our mea culpa will be. It may require filing a challenge to the audit with the correct paperwork, filing an amended tax return for 2005, promising to stop claiming the cat as a dependent. . . . I'm sure it will cost us something in the end; after all there was $102 in other funds that were in error. But I imagine it will be a much easier final number to swallow than $7000.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Yes, but at least you are more succesful at masquerading at adulthood than many -- me specifically! You've even bought a 'grown up' car!

Loni said...

{{{Carrie}}}

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!