I'm fairly certain one of my student aides think that I'm either 1) a bumbling idiot or 2) a bumbling idiot who tells bad jokes. Either way, I think he feels I create extra work for him in his position as Library Student Aide, especially given my muck-up with the recent library system conversion and the itty-bitty issue that not recalibrating the barcode scanner created.
In a nutshell, if a book scans in as "Used in Library," we have to scan it a second time, deleting the last number of the barcode because when I didn't recalibrate the scanner, it inserted an asterisk thus deleting the last number of the barcode. Some of the books will then show up as checked out to a student; other times it doesn't. There was a possibility of nine other books having the same barcode and that particular book was incorrectly checked in when another student returned a different book (say I checked out to 345609100123; without the last number it could be anything from *120-*129). It is still a big mess almost a month after the conversion--I know there are students with books out that didn't show up on the list because of the barcode fiasco. It's also a mess because I have yet to convince this particular student aide to CHECK THE BOOKS IN TWICE. Not every book, dude, but if it says "used in library," scan it again. Come on, all the other aides are doing it. He thinks it's unnecessary to scan it the second time because 75% of the time, it comes up with a "barcode not found" message.
Ah, but that 25% of the time?
Today, report cards were handed out today during 7th period. I give a list of students with overdue books to the office. If a student has an overdue book, his/her report card is held. There were a dozen or so students in the library saying, "But I turned my book in." And a few said, "I gave it to him." indicating the reluctant scanning student aide. All I can do is just sign off on their pass and believe them because of the mess I created in the first place.
Eh, well. In the end, it's not a big deal and eventually most of the books will be returned. And I'd be more irritated if this student wasn't a great helper in many other ways around the library.
I just wish he laughed at my jokes more often.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know why he doesn't laugh? Becuase he thinks your OLD. I know that's harsh. I know it's sounds so cruel and so UNTRUE. And it is. It is cruel for him to think such a thing becuase it IS UNTRUE. But from where he's standing. You're old. And old isn't funny.
Oh, I know I'm like one-foot-in-the-grave old to all the students. Nothing like having a student say "Wow! You're as old as my mom!" to make you want to have a good cry--mostly because there's the realization that, holy cow, if I did have a 7th grader, while I would have been a young mother, I wouldn't have been a teenager. :::flail:::
But there's also a possiblity that some of my jokes are lame. A very good possibility. :)
Post a Comment