I recently found the new comforter for the guest bedroom. The color of the room--a blue-green turquoise that is darker in person than it photographs--definitely narrowed my choices. I really can't remember what the world was like before Internet shopping--all that endless time spent driving from store to store. No more. I searched various stores online and narrowed my choices to a few at Linens 'n Things. One I really liked wasn't available for full beds--darn that Nate Berkus. Another selection had a blue that I think would look bad with the wall color. So through the process of elimination, this was my final selection. Paul suggested that this one might be "a bit girly" with all the flower patterns. I can only imagine what he would have said had I brought home the coordinating sheets with the pretty pink posies embroidered on the edge (although I did purchase the pillow cases). But I like my choice--it's bright and cheery. Like me. :)
The dresser in the background was made by Paul's paternal grandfather, Ralph. Ralph was a principal at various schools in rural Kansas. During the Great Depression, he often filled vacant teaching positions himself--this dresser, complete with cedar drawers, was made while he was a woodshop teacher. It was given to us by Paul's parents shortly after we married when we were in need of furniture (apparently the French Provincial set I'd owned since I was seven was "a bit girly" for Paul). It's definitely my favorite piece of furniture that we own.
2 comments:
Nice piece of furniture. I like the simplicity of it and that your GFIL made it, well, all the better.
I noticed all of the pink flamingos (flamingoes? potato potahto...eh) against the flowery design. It's a little pinky for my tastes (although I do wear a lot of pink stuff) but it's very nice for a guest room. I always think it's better to go feminine in a guest room versus masculine. And it's so hard to be neutral unless you go with a them as in Mediterreanan or Mexican, etc...
It looks inviting and cozy.
That's all that's really important.
:)
It is pinker than I'd intended to get--the set I really liked was red and blue but the blue was the wrong shade. I've only recently started to embrace my "girly" side and all the pink goodness. Most of our guests are female--my mom, sisters, and girlfriends visit more often than their male counterparts. The men can just flex or something to show us how manly they are before slipping underneath the flowery bedspread. :)
The flamingos started as a joke--Paul bought me the Beanie Baby one and it's grown from there with gifts from other people. Thankfully not too much. I do like the tacky goodness but it would be easy to go *way* overboard with them.
Post a Comment