Sunday, February 25, 2007

#3 (but #1 if Paul would listen to me)

Last night, our Sunday School group's monthly social was a chili cook-off. There were 13 or so people in attendance and seven types of chili, all very different and very tasty. I think a good time was had by all (at least I hope so since this whole thing was my idea). Because I don't have a tried-and-true chili recipe, Paul and I found a basic one and then spiced it up ourselves. I'm not a fan of bell peppers in my chili so we omitted that and the green chiles since Paul can't eat them. This recipe ended up quite good, although there are things I'll change about it next time we make it.

Our friends were laughing at Paul and me as we tallied the votes--because we were the organizers (and the buyers of the prizes), Paul thought we shouldn't accept our third place finish but rather award #3 to the person who actually finished #4. Being just a wee bit competitive, I wouldn't do it. We placed third fair and square. And we would have been first if Paul had voted correctly because I know his handwriting and I know he voted us #3 rather than the #1 I think he should have (because I think you should always vote for yourself). But I was trying to be not-bossy so I didn't say anything to him when he was filling in his ballot. So, because he is nicer than me, we finished third.

And in case you're in the market for a good chili recipe, here's one for the shoulda-been first place chili. The seasoning amounts can be adjusted to taste. These are the amounts we used and it was pretty spicy. Paul said he would have kicked it up a bit more but we could probably kill a mere mortal with how spicy-hot we eat stuff.

Paul & Carrie's Chili

2 lbs. "chili" ground (ground chuck)
1 medium onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
*1 or 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato paste (about 1/2 of a 6-oz. can)
2 cups beef broth
3 Tbsp. hot chili powder
1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground red peppper
2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper seasoning
3 tsp. hot sauce (we used chipotle hot sauce)

1. Cook first 3 ingredients over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
2. Combine meat mixture, beans, and seasonings in Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours or until thickened. Garnish as desired.

*Technically chili shouldn't have beans but some people like beans in their chili. I don't have a preference but it does stretch the dish if you have more to feed.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

We must be on the same culinary track as I just bought the fixin's to make chili.
I was going to do something a little more kid-friendly but, who am I kidding?
The kids won't eat this stuff anyway.
They'll just have to fill-up on cornbread.
Which reminds me... I found that Costco carries Marie Callender's cornbread fixin's in a bag. Super easy and super yummy.
Check it out!
Goes perfectly with a nice cuppa chili.
:)

Loni said...

DH doesn't like bean in his chili. I do, because I feel like it's healthier that way. But who am I kidding? No one eats chili for it health benefits.

Sounds like a good recipe!

Patsy said...

Good sounding recipe. I taught you well, ALWAYS VOTE FOR YOURSELF!

Natalie said...

What? Chili isn't healthy?
What about that song?
Beans, beans, the magical fruit;
the more you eat,
the more you...
toot.
;)