Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Very Merry Unbirthday

Since Paul had to be out of town on my birthday, and because the flat tire and the ensuing run-around trying to get it changed made for a less-than-fun birthday day, Paul and I celebrated my birthday this weekend. He's been hounding me all week as to what I might want as a gift. There's really nothing I need and all the things I want are either utilitarian and boring (a new purse, new dress coat) or more expensive than we normally spend for birthdays. So I've been at a loss as to what to tell Paul to get me and Paul was at a loss to come up with a gift all on his own.

Yesterday, we decided we'd run up to Santa Fe this afternoon. I enjoy Santa Fe, all the quirky shops, art galleries, interesting restaurants, but Paul will typically do anything to avoid going to The City Different. But once a year or so, he acquiesces and will make a trip with me.

We visited the little outlet mall on the edge of SF. And, happily, I was able to find my birthday present.

This is what I originally picked up for a gift. Boring, utilitarian, and on sale (but the perfect size and just what I was looking for in a new purse):


And then, then I saw this. I didn't even know I wanted/needed it:

It is an enamaled cast iron apple pot. Because every kitchen needs an enameled cast iron apple pot. Especially one that weighs in at 11.5 lbs. empty. Paul was in disbelief that this was what I would want as a gift but it was so shiny and pretty that I just had to have it.

Thankfully, it came with a few recipe ideas because I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it other than to look it sitting shiny and pretty in my kitchen. I'm already planning to use it for mulled cider for the Christmas parties we're hosting this year.

4 comments:

telfair said...

I think these look like wonderful birthday gifts -- one will make your daily life more enjoyable and one is pure whimsy. That's the perfect mix, to me.

Happy Birthday!

Melissa said...

I love it!

Loni said...

One year I had a rotten Mother's day (the first one, i think). All that obligation stuff and no appreciation for ME! Anyway, we decided that the next Sunday was my very own Mother's day. It worked out really well. I see your birthday, part 2, worked out for you as well. Cute and Cute!

ICNH said...

{{{{{Unusual pot twin}}}}} I love the apple!

<-----owns enameled cast iron pumpkin pot