So, we're off to Kansas for a family reunion celebrating the 70th wedding anniversary of Paul's grandparents. Their actual anniversary is in April but this was the easiest time for all of the family to gather together. I typically enjoy Paul's family--there aren't that many of them, they aren't terribly loud or obnoxious, none seem to belong on Springer (none of which can be said for my own family).
But as is the case when we visit my family, it's just too many people in too small of an area. One (or both) of us typically ends up with a splitting headache because there are just TOO MANY PEOPLE around and we have to be "on" for the entire time.
And let's just be honest here--Paul and I are borderline hermits. We keep to ourselves, quietly going about our business at home, venturing out to the occasional dinner with friends or various meetings. But usually, the lights are low, the shades are drawn, and we don't even answer the telephone. If we didn't have jobs (and we didn't enjoy the basic things like food), we'd probably cross that line to full-blown hermits. This makes it difficult when we have to be around more than two other people at a time. And then be entertaining and intriguing and engaging. And then act like the other people are entertaining, intriguing, and engaging. Because, really, after about 10 minutes, I've gotten caught up on your doings, you know all about me, and it takes about seven more minutes for you to figure out that we're really dull people with a happily boring life. And we're in a town of about 100 people so we can catch up on all their doings within the half-hour as well.
I'm hoping to meet up with a friend who moved to Kansas from ABQ. She was the band director at my school for three years and we were great partners in crime. Plus, it's a great excuse to escape the inlaws. Not that I don't love them but as I've mentioned to Paul, my own family drives me batty. Why wouldn't his?
At least we're guaranteed some ice cream at some point in the weekend. Paul definitely inherited his grandfather's sweet tooth. Owen loves his sweets--ice cream, chocolates, cookies. One year, we had six pies for eight people, thanks to Owen. We got to have pie for breakfast. And it was good.
Five years ago, we had a big gathering for the 65th wedding anniversary. This party isn't as large but in the past five years, ther have been three weddings and four babies born so at least the family will be bigger. His grandparents are 93 and 92 now--we don't know how many more trips to Kansas we'll be making. And this one will be a celebration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow -- I can totally relate to this. The whole hermit thing is me to a tee.
I really liked the sentence, "And then act like the other people are entertaining and intriguing and engaging." Again -- I SO HEAR YOU.
Have a fun trip! I admire your intestinal fortitude!
The thing is, most of the people there are also borderline hermits -- or at the very least just set in their own ways -- and so they are also just acting like you are entertaining, etc. Goodness, if family events could only last for an hour or so, I think we'd all like them much more.
Have fun and give my love to Owen and Reva.
Post a Comment