Monday, December 5, 2005

The stockings were hung...

Maybe we really should consider having a child soon. I've taken to buying my cat embroidered stockings from Pottery Barn. My future child probably won't even have an embroidered stocking from PB (unless I can get it for $5 on clearance as I did this gem). But look how cute this stocking is, with the little black kitty on it, just like Jubbers.

The school spelling bee is tomorrow. It's not difficult to organize but I'll be glad when it's over. I'm a little irritated with the teachers this year. Several of them didn't bother to hold class spelling bees or even ask for volunteers for the bee. We're down about 20 spellers and will lose more tomorrow when the students back out at the last minute. I've had several students, including one of my student aides, ask what they needed to do to be in the bee. Sure, some are asking just because they want out of class but there were others who were serious. All I could tell them was to talk to their language arts teachers. Frustrating. I think it's time for me to retire from planning the spelling bee. The former librarian didn't plan it--the only reason I do it is because I was responsible for it as a teacher and just kept doing it when I moved to the library. It's definitely not my pet project nor one that I feel any overwhelming sense of responsibility to do. I think I say this every year and yet, here I am. Still planning spelling bees. Perhaps it is because I am a P-U-S-H-O-V-E-R.

2 comments:

telfair said...

My mother is a children's librarian and was just complaining that she gets roped into doing all sorts of extracurricular activities and events because she, too, is a P-U-S-H-O-V-E-R. You are not alone! ;)

Carrie said...

I am getting better about saying no to things. I haven't coached the school basketball team in two years because of that newly-discovered word. Of course, I became the yearbook sponsor when I stopped coaching so I obviously still need to work on it.