We hosted a neighborhood holiday party at our house Sunday evening. As we were getting ready, Paul asked how many I thought would be at the house--he thought about 12. I did a quick run of the "usual suspects" and said that I thought that sounded about right. Even though we blanket invited the entire neighborhood, we both really thought that only those people we really know would come. We could not have been more wrong--and delightedly so. The first few people to arrive at the house were neighbors we hadn't met before or we'd only met at the mailbox in passing. Others we hadn't seen in a long time came as well as those we know well. We ended up with about 30 people in our little house--all of them standing in the kitchen, dining room, and the hall. No one was in the living room for the longest time. Despite our best efforts, no one would move from the friendly confines of the kitchen. Sure all the food was there but there was no oxygen left. I think a good time was had by all. I'm not so sure some of the neighbors didn't come just to see the remodel, which was fine and expected. We met a couple of neighbors who've lived three houses from us for five years and yet, we'd never seen them before. I'm sure I've waved to them before but it was the first time we'd actually met them. And the party just solidified our thinking that we live in a great neighborhood with some really great people. (Of course, the couple of jerky neighbors we know didn't stop by.) It would be great to have that bigger house that would be easier to entertain 30 people but I'm not ready to leave our neighborhood.
After the party, Paul and I were absolutely worthless on Monday. Seriously, I was going to type this up yesterday and I just didn't have the strength to do so. We had breakfast with Paul's parents and had our Christmas with them. Afterwards I dropped them off at the airport for their trip to DE. Then, it was naps all around for all three of us because Jub is always willing to join in the sleeping. We seriously accomplished nothing yesterday aside from eating dinner but even that was just leftovers from the party. My next door neighbor may be a little crabby at time but that lady brought rum balls and I loves me some rum balls. I've been rationing the leftover ones with little luck. I bought a bottle of rum for a punch I was going to make for the party but then didn't--I should see if I have a recipe for rum balls or rum cake. It might make the holidays that much more enjoyable.
The rest of this week, I've got to get ready for the family's visit to NM. General stuff like making cookies and snack foods. And figuring out how to cook all the stuff I've got to cook in the one oven I have. It's a good thing Mom is coming because otherwise, I'd be up a creek. It's not that I don't know how to make all the stuff but coordinating cooking times is perplexing. Making gravy is as well. I don't do the gravy thing very well.

And a gratuitous picture of the cat whose only foray into nature are when we put up our artificial tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment