Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Just a day

Henry has recently become very interested in looking at the pictures and videos on Paul's old iPhone.  Most are of Henry from birth through about nine months and Henry loves seeing "the baby".  I admit, I love seeing the baby too.  I miss that baby and those gummy grins and giggles.  While some of the memories of the first month are bittersweet as we adjusted to life as a family of three, Henry was (and still is) such a happy, easy-going kid that parenting him is a joy most of the time.  He really does make us look like we know what we're doing.

But as much as I miss that baby, it's entertaining to catch the glimpses of the little boy he is all-too-quickly becoming.  His language has definitely exploded in the past six weeks and we're understanding more and more what he says (and if we don't understand, he'll grab us by the shoulders or turn our head and point us in the direction of what it is he wants).  He's decided he loves watching the three Signing Time videos we have and will use a few signs to let us know what he's wanting (he loves signing, and wearing, his snow boots even when it is 60 outside).  He will hold our hands and walk more and more although he still loves to be carried and will tell us "UP!" or "Back!" if he wants the carrier all the time.  He's developing a quirky sense of humor and laughs at things we don't quite comprehend but laugh at nonetheless.

Yesterday was one of those days that I want to capture in my mind forever.  It was just a Monday but for some reason, it was a special day.  A content day--one that feels a little different even though it's really not.

Paul had to leave town early yesterday so it was Henry and me for the afternoon and evening.  He was in a particularly good mood when I picked him up from daycare--telling all his friends and teachers bye-bye as we were leaving, even giving one little boy who stood between Henry and the door a hug on the way out.  The little boy reciprocated with a fist bump although Henry left him hanging.  And who knows if that is really what the little guy wanted.  I needed to run to the Toyota dealership to get a part for Paul's car and while we were there, Henry needed to watch the cars in the service bays and look at some others.  He charmed the fellow customers in the waiting area and amused more than a few salesmen as he ran through the showroom.  Just a happy toddler enjoying his little happy toddler world (although he wasn't keen on getting back in my car and had some words for me then).

When we were ordering dinner at Flying Star, Henry insisted on "UP!" but while I was holding him, he was holding my head and having me give him kisses.  I will do that all day long if he wants.  :)  He was content to settle in and eat but wasn't ready to leave when he was done.  So we enjoyed coloring for 10 minutes or so before we headed home for bath and playtime.

Bath was easy--even hairwashing did not result in any arguments (not always the case)-- and afterwards, we were able Skype with Paul who is in D.C. for 20 minutes.  When it was bedtime, Henry insisted "Mama wock!"  We don't do that many nights but last night, mama needed to rock.  We read a couple of bedtime stories including "Time for Bed" by Mem Fox.  That one truly melts my heart because we don't actually read it but Henry turns each page and tells each animal night-night with a little pat on the page.  Then it was kisses and off to sleep for the toddler.  Like I said, nothing special but just one of those days that I want to remember because all was right.

No comments: