Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yesterday's phone call

Yesterday evening, I had a phone call from my sister Amy who requested that I talk to Abigail, not as an aunt but as a librarian.  After calming down a squalling Henry who had managed to get stuck under his swing, I heard an obviously upset little girl on the other end of the phone say, "Aunt Carrie, I can't find my library book." 

Poor girl was so upset that she lost her book.  Amy suggested they call me to let her know that it happens and it was OK.  Which is exactly what I told her.  She was surprised to learn that students 10 years older than her still lose library books as well.  I gave her the same list of places to look that I tell my students (bedroom, classroom, bookshelves, backpack--"It's not in my backpack!") and suggested she go tell her school librarian the next day because you never know.  Someone might have found the book and turned in if she left it in her classroom or the cafeteria.  After a little more reassuring that the librarian wouldn't be mad but Abigail might have to replace or pay for the book if it is lost, she seemed to feel a little better about the situation.

Enough to let me know that she did have good news--another lost tooth!  That is definitely not a bad thing to lose.