Things have been busy around these parts and add in a good bit of laziness when it's not busy and this little place ends up a bit neglected. From my vantage point, however, things are going well for our little clan.
Paul had a business trip to Berkeley right before Thanksgiving. It was his first in many months--good and bad. It's always nice to have him home but since the lack of travel is due to lack of funding, it's not necessarily a plus. Because he didn't get home until Tuesday afternoon following a 24-hour shift, we opted not to travel any farther than his parents' house for Thanksgiving. It was just the four of us for dinner, football, and board games. A nice way to spend the holiday.
I had a doctor's appointment just before Thanksgiving. I will admit that I have an issue with the nurse who does all the vitals--she won't let me pee before she weighs me. She's nice enough except for that because while I know I'm gaining weight at a healthy rate, I'm enough of a girl that I would prefer to be naked and empty before stepping on a scale. I did convince her at this appointment to let me take off the boots I was wearing because I knew they weighed about 2 pounds (I'd weighed with them on and off at home just to see). Small victories. I saw the PA for this appointment with the OB popping in briefly just to check that things were OK. He said that personally, I was quite interesting but medically, I was utterly boring which is just how he likes his patients to be. I've had very little swelling (only one day after a VERY salty meal), my energy level is still good, Baby and I are both gaining weight and growing at a healthy rate. I was sent with orders to return in four weeks, just before Christmas, and to have the 1 hour glucose test done before the next visit.
I played hooky from work on Friday to complete the glucose test as well as run an assortment of errands that just never seem to get done when I have to do them after work. I had been advised by several friends and my sister to select the orange flavor and chug it like I was back in college. And to hope it was cold. I did just that (and the drink was cold). I don't think there should be any problems with gestational diabetes. I've been asked by several people about traveling at Christmas--I've not actually asked the doctor (nothing like waiting until the day before we're scheduled to leave to do that) but again, I don't think there should be any problems. I've not had troubles with the pregnancy at all so while I know I'll be grounded to ABQ during January and February, this will be one last trip I can make. And if the doctor says no, we'll just pull a Smokey and the Bandit except for trying to run beer across state lines with a really cool Trans-Am, Paul will be transporting a pregnant woman in a Subaru Forester. Eh. (Oh, but I just looked on IMDb to make certain I had the right movie and Sally Fields character's name was Carrie. Didn't remember that at all but I probably haven't seen that movie in 25 years.)
And in other news, I met with the remodeling contractor and that is scheduled to get started on December 14 with a completion date of Dec. 22. We didn't get to add the lovely flooring I'd selected to the project at this point in time. Holy cow--I have good taste. When I saw that 1/3 of the cost would be floors, it didn't take much time for me to say that the current carpet will be just fine. It's not a big room so that might be a DIY project for us at a later date. In anticipation of the remodel, we sold the hall tree bench and the futon that was in the guest room on Craiglist last week. I probably didn't price them high enough since I sold both quickly but if I'd priced them higher, I might not have gotten any takers. Catch-22. But both pieces are gone and we've got a little extra money in our pocket to put towards new furniture for the room.
We've decided to go ahead and do the our neighborhood holiday party even though we'll have construction happening. I didn't wrestle up a Christmas tree this year because between the construction and the belly, it just didn't seem worth it. My MIL gave me a 4-foot pre-lighted tree so I've got that and will probably do the mantle and put out a few other things to gussy up the joint beforehand. Our neighbors probably won't even notice the difference in decorating that I normally do, and if they do, I think they'll understand. We figure that if nothing else, they will probably be curious to see what's up at our house when they see the contractor's truck again.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment