I guess there are some portions of this pregnancy thing that I've skipped over because it was happening when we still weren't talking about it (when it was only the worst kept secret in the world). Here's the scoop on the perinatologist.
At the follow-up, the doctor said that it had been a smallish spot and the edges had been clear so all that would be needed would be Pap smears every three months for the first year, every six months the second year, and annually afterwards. Except that after the first year, I was still getting abnormal Paps back so I had to continue the every three months thing for longer--maybe 18 months. I don't really remember. Just when we were thinking things were going to be OK, during the summer of 2006, a Pap smear revealed abnormal cells from my uterus and I got to have an intrauterine swab.
I cannot say how excruciatingly painful this procedure was. The doctor said that I'd probably only need about four Advil beforehand to give me a little relaxer but it was a quick procedure--less than 10 minutes--so he wouldn't give me anything else. Short but he didn't mention the B-A-D bad part. Basically, the doctor takes a swab and runs it up through the cervix, all the way up into the lower part of uterus and starts scraping. You know how a normal Pap feels--a little pinching? That but MUCH worse. My uterus pretty much revolted and started cramping, HARD and sharply, pretty much immediately. It was 10 of 10 pain and I was crying almost immediately because of it. I know my discomfort was really bothering Paul. I think even Paul was ready to tell the doctor to stop it, it's not worth this. The doctor and nurse were both telling me to lie still, just breathe through it, Paul was doing his best to keep me still and calm, and all I wanted to do was get out of there. The doctor said he didn't know if he had gotten enough cells but if we had to do it again, he'd give me anesthesia. I think I'd requested Valium or some such drug beforehand and I think he thought I was joking. Paul told me afterwards that the next time the doctor told me it was going to be something a few Advil would work for, to ram my head into the wall repeatedly until I knocked myself out. Thankfully there were enough cells and the test came back negative. Subsequent Pap smears also came back clear and finally, the past two years have had clear Pap smears. (That's really not part of the story; I just wanted a little sympathy for what I went through.)
So, the perinatologist--
At the doctor's visit in July for the pregnancy confirmation, the doctor gave us a few minutes together before he came in with all the rest of the information for us. I don't know if that is his standard practice but it was appreciated since we were jet-lagged and emotional. Then all the bucket-loads of information came at us. He recommends no caffeine the first trimester, limit cold cuts and soft cheeses, sushi is out in his opinion. He's a single practitioner so we'll need to see someone else, here's the name of the doctor and practice he's referring OB patients to. Oh, yeah, you had the LEEP and you'll be 35 when Baby is born so you're of advanced maternal age, we'll schedule an appointment with the perinatologist for genetic screening and monitoring. Keep taking vitamins. And, oh yeah, congratulations. Let us know when Baby is born.
The perinatologist visit was three weeks later and we met with a genetic counselor. Paul and I have very few, if any, indicators of genetic anomalies that we needed to worry about and since we're pretty much the last people having children in our families, we knew that there had been nothing for anyone earlier. Neither of our mothers could remember any incidences that might be cause for concern. We opted for the level 2 screening which requires two blood draws to rule out the possibility of chromosomal abnormalities, a spinal abnormality, and cystic fibrosis. There was also a sonogram to take measurements of Baby, who was being most uncooperative, including the nuchal fold at the base of the neck which can be an indicator of chromosomal abnormalities. So far, everything looks good (except for an already stubborn child). That was the perinatologist visit for the advanced maternal age side of things.
Because of the LEEP procedure and the fact that I have scar tissue on my cervix, there is a *slight* chance that my cervix could become compromised. I'll continue to see the perinatologist every month until at least 20 or 24 weeks to monitor the condition of my cervix. I'll alternate visits every two weeks with the perinatologist and the OB/GYN. The OB/GYN said that he'd "spring" me from the perinatologist's office after my last screening work was done (I can't remember if that is 20 or 24 weeks) because he's seen very little that indicates the cervix will compromise after 20 weeks. While it's a pain to go to a doctor's office that much, it is fun to get to see pictures of Baby all the time (I've had three sonograms already). I don't know what we're going to do yet--we've got at least 6 weeks to decide. In the meantime, I'm glad that I've got people watching this to make certain things stay like they should.
7 comments:
Didja know that the only reason that 35 is considered AMA is because that's when the risk of having a wonky chromosome (and you know thems is dear to my heart) is directly equal to the risk of a MC from an amnio? That's it. I hate that OBs throw that age in a way that causes fear with parents for a couple of reason:
1. The thing with parenting is, you never know what you're gonna get. I don't care if you get a clear pre-natal test, you just don't know what's going to come along. Plus, I know plenty of people who had the all clear on the nuchal or AFP or whatever and had a designer kid. So. If you're not prepared for that...I don't know...I just think that's something that a log of people (NOT YOU) don't consider when they're thinking about parenting.
and
2. There are actually MORE people under AMA who have kids with wonky chromos. Whether that's because they aren't strongly advised to get the testing, or whether they elect not to, or whether over 35ers terminate, or whatever, I don't know. I just know that the stats show that more people under 35 have 47ers than over 35.
Total bummer on the LEEP, etc. I hope that nightmare has been put to bed forever!
Your OB seems strict! Everything I've read says that minimal caf. is ok (a cuppa or a coke/day) and soft cheeses in the US are all pasteurized, so that risk is nil for listeria. Luncheon meat never tasted great to me, but I did have a smmie now and again.
Good to have doctors checking things out, although everything would probably be ok if you didn't.
Our Jolee has a chromosomal anomaly, or something, that makes her immune system weak. She has to be super careful about being exposed to 'stuff'. Of course, that makes no difference, since there is no blood relation there.
Will keep up the prayers for you all.
We knew that the AMA is pretty much an arbitrary number applied to 35. When we spoke with the genetic counselor, she showed us the levels at which the risks increase and the jump at 35 is surprisingly small. Paul and I talked about it and know that the nuchal fold measurement and even the pre-screening tests aren't fail-proof. Surprises still can happen in the delivery room.
My new OB is totally mellow on the caffeine, sushi, etc. stance. He prefers no Cokes, especially diet sodas, just because of the chemicals but said that one a day won't hurt Baby. He did say no canned fish--that was his one absolute no. None of the no-no's were really that big a deal for me. I'm not a big caffeine drinker (no coffee, few sodas) to begin with so it's not a huge issue for me. I don't like sushi and feta is one of the few soft cheeses I eat frequently. Mostly, my own aversions and things I've figured out make me queasy have been much more limiting than anything the OB could come up with. Tomato sauce = instant queasiness so no pizza, pasta, etc.
I didn't realize that about Jolee! There was an article in the newspaper today about a little boy with an immune deficiency--I think they referred to the acronym as NEMO. He had to have an bone marrow transplant. I'm glad Jolee didn't have to do that as well.
Care - hope you didn't think I was attacking you. I've become so anti-medical establishment, especially when it comes to birthing, so it's nothing to do with you. :-) I know that you've got your head on your shoulders and will love whatever kid you get. {{hugs}}
You must have that 'glow' about you, the baby bump is quite small at this point. Paul's a trooper to have a 14 week shot taken, too. Let's see if he progresses along with you. LOL
How did I miss these post??? This helped a lot. Glad I got to read it tonight. Love to you.
Post a Comment