Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fall!

We've been enjoying absolutely beautiful weather the past few weeks, barring last Wed/Thurs when it rained almost 2 inches in about 24 hours. That was definitely an odd thing for Albuquerque. I'll admit to walking around my house barefooted, looking for any wet spots from a leaking roof. It just doesn't rain that much in the desert and if the roof was going to leak, almost-2 inches of rain at one time would be the time it would do it. Thankfully everything was dry.

But back to the lovely weather! Yesterday saw the temperature drop by about 20 degrees from Monday's high in the low-80s but we've still got blue skies and sunshine with the chillier temperatures. Even this temperature drop has reminded me why I love fall so much. From the time the smell of roasting chiles start to fill the air in mid-August, I'm happy because I know fall is right around the corner. The temperatures in the spring might be similar but there's always the wind to contend with. The fall just doesn't have that same constantly blowing wind. It's not disgustingly hot like it can be during the summer. I think my ideal temperature in which to exist occurs from early September until mid-to-late November.

When we were planning our wedding, one of my arguments for wanting a fall wedding was that the weather is almost always so pretty and it's just a great time of year to have a wedding. My in-laws asked didn't we want to get married in a more "traditional" wedding month--meaning during the summer. Nope. I didn't want to sweat through my wedding dress. I wanted a fall wedding. I think I wanted a fall wedding long before I'd met a boy named Paul. It's definitely my favorite time of year. So, I gushed and gushed to Paul about how perfect the weather is in October and it would great because we could have all our pictures taken in the lovely courtyard of the church and it will be PERFECT.

Yesterday's temperature drop made both Paul and me laugh about a weather change that was almost exactly the same almost exactly 10 years ago. The day before our wedding, the temperature was in the mid-80s. It was a little windy during the day but by sunset, the wind had died down. We were able to have our outdoor rehearsal dinner at my parents' house without any problems. We knew that a cold front was predicted for the weekend but the local forecasters were saying late Saturday into Sunday. Yep. My dad woke me up on Saturday morning to let me know that the front had blown in overnight and it was currently about 45 degrees. I think it had warmed up to about 55 by the time our wedding started at 11:00 a.m. So much for all our outdoor pictures. We got a few but not all the ones I'd planned/hoped to have taken outside. I will say that the next day was absolutely lovely thought with temps in the mid-70s.

Paul still gives me a hard time about that darn weather front anytime I start talking about how much I love fall weather. You can bet that with yesterday's front, it was one of the first things he mentioned. It was still a good day though and I'll still argue that on most any other day, the weather is pretty much ideal.

1 comment:

Ida said...

Maybe it's because you were born in the fall. Me, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hot dry weather, August is almost always 'perfect' because it usually is HOT, and DRY. It makes me want to go sit on a rock. Remember the big one Granny had in front of her house? I would have been mine if Joe had gotten around to going to get it sooner. By the time he got around to it, the people had disposed of it. (how does one dispose of a large granite boulder?) Anyway, Happy Fall!