Friday, September 25, 2009

17 weeks

A friend asked me this week how I was feeling and commented that if she didn't know better, I didn't really seem pregnant. I have to agree. If I didn't know better, I'd say that I don't really feel pregnant. I'm feeling really good this week--still a little more tired than I normally am in a non-pregnant state but other than that, I feel good. I still have a little problem sleeping but nothing horrible. Paul commented that it seems I'm more sensitive to being woken up which I'd agree with. I've discovered that if I'll get up and go to the bathroom when I'm in that almost-awake state, I tend to go back to sleep right away. So even if I don't think I need to do so, I blindly make my way in that direction. And usually, I need to. The sonogram tech told me last week that baby is hanging out really low--just a little above my cervix--and I think he's mostly crowding my bladder. It's going to be a long five more months.

The queasiness seems to have passed as well. One of the things I've discovered is that Baby apparently dislikes tomato sauce so pizza and pasta are pretty much out. I'm not sure what it is--not the spicy since I'm still LOVING green chile and spicy food. I can eat tomatoes so I think it's that tomato sauce is just too acidic for me now. I've not eaten any for two weeks and for two weeks, no nausea. Paul keeps asking if I want to try pizza again. Mostly not since I'm feeling good now. I've told him I'd try it again some Friday evening (to give myself the entire weekend to recover if Baby still doesn't agree with it).

There was one time that I'm very certain I've felt the baby move. There have probably been some other flutters but nothing that really stands out. I was pounding out some chicken cutlets on Sunday, making breaded chicken to have in the freezer for last-minute meals. Paul and I were chatting as I was doing this which took 10 minutes to cut and pound the chicken. As I was finishing up, I felt very definite flutters that had to be Baby. I just told Paul that that was weird. Great way to describe it but "weird" is pretty much the best descriptor I could use at that time. I've not felt it again since but then again, there's not been any loud banging occurring very near my uterus since that time.

School has been fun this week. The homecoming game is tonight so the week has been full of all the festivities surrounding that. Obviously, a high school of 2000 people does things a little different than a high school of 50 like I attended but not as much as I thought. There is still the homecoming court, the spirit week with different spirit days, all the rest of the hoopla. During lunch today, there was a pep rally and Homecoming carnival where the different groups at school sell food--hamburgers, frito pies, nachos, caramel apples, popcorn, etc. and I think there were a few little games set up as well. That was fun to go down and walk through. I overindulged but it was well worth it. And supported a good cause.

Since we didn't have football, Texline's homecoming was during basketball season with ceremony between the girls' and boys' basketball games. Even the homecoming football games I attended growing up (Dumas, Sunray, Clayton), the homecoming coronation was during halftime of the football game. Not so in Albuquerque--it was an hour-plus long coronation ceremony held in the school gym yesterday. And boy did they milk it for all it was worth--each candidate was introduced as was their accomplishments in high school, their goal in 10 years, what it meant to them being on the homecoming court, who they like to thank, who they most admired, and their favorite quote. A little weepy in the beginning but I'll admit that by the end, I was playing on my Blackberry. I don't know the kids who won but the library student aide I was sitting beside was very pleased.

And in the fun world of homecoming, mums are not really done in Albuquerque but one of the groups at the high school was selling little ones. I was trying to explain to students who were so confused by the idea of a mum just all the wonderousness that is a homecoming mum. The library aide and I were laughing about them and how much fun the mums and garters are in Texas. Today, we bought one for our student aide who is on homecoming court. Our aide was thrilled. As was I when I realized that she'd bought me one as well. I have my own little homecoming mum to wear to the game tonight. I'm so excited.
I think I had one about this size when I was in 2nd grade. We do them up much bigger in Texas.
Baby and Mummy wearing a mum. Hee. I'm such an Anglophile that that is really funny to me.
17 weeks belly shot--not much change from last week. It really depends on the time of day when the picture is taken as to how big I look. It's little blurry but I didn't want to wait for Paul to get home and I really should have cleaned that mirror.

2 comments:

Ida said...

I suppose I should have said 'THEY' do them much bigger in Texas, since I am no longer there, huh.

Ida said...

You are right, we do mum MUCH bigger in Texas. That one is extremely mild, even for a small one. It was sweet of your aide to get one for you. Is she from Texas also?