Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New and Improved now with more snuggle

Apparently, Jub has gotten over the moody teenager stage and has moved on to being a fairly pleasant beast to spend time with. We haven't been able to say this in a very long time but Jub is being nice. And friendly. And actually wanting to hang out with both of us. He's always tried to hop in Paul's lap any time Paul sits down but now Jub is just hanging out in the room with us, chatting a little, asking how our day went, spending a little quality time in the evenings. During Spring Break, when I was working on the computer while sitting at the dining room table, the cat would hop up on the chair and sit behind me. Just saying hey. The oddest thing he has done occurred one night at dinner when, as Paul and I were sitting next to each other at the table, the cat hopped up with his left paws on Paul's chair and his right paws on my chair and sat like that while we finished eating. He'll also sit in the chair across from us while we eat dinner so all we see is a little head popped up:

This morning, Paul sent me a picture of Jub lying on my slippers in our bathroom, taking advantage of the morning sun coming in the glass blocks in the bathroom. Apparently, he's done this several mornings in the past if my slippers happen to be there. The other morning, I got out of the shower and Jub was sitting on the vanity, waiting for me. He sat there while I toweled off and continued my morning routine.  And just, you know, hung out with me while I did my thing.
We are absolutely thrilled Jub stopped being completely territorial and yowling at our guests. Now, he's become a little welcome wagon of one, greeting guests and ushering them into our home. Paul's parents came over last Friday to help us with the new guest room futon. When Jub saw my mother-in-law standing in the hall, he let out a happy little meow and he did a happy little tail flick and came down to say hello. Some glimpses of the old Jub remain when our friends with a 4 year old and an almost-2 year old came over one Sunday afternoon--he was less than thrilled to be noticed by the two Pink People, as Paul called the girls who were dressed all in pink.  But he liked the parents and was content to chat with them for a bit.

But I have to admit that we're a bit confused as to what to do with a friendly cat. We've never had a cat like this--one you can pick up and hug on and love on--except perhaps when he was a wee kitten.  We've always referred to Jub as cantankerous and cranky and crabby because, well, he fit the definitions of all of those.  I guess until the pod is found and our lovable grump of a cat returns, I'll just take advantaged of being able to pick up the cat as often as I can without fear of being shredded.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's so cute! But don't tell Jub I said that...he might revert back if he thinks someone likes him this way. ;-)

Patsy said...

I hope to get to visit before the *old, cantankerous* Jub returns. Friendly Jub -- hmmmm.