Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Return to sender

I'm registering for summer and fall classes at UNT.  I'm taking 5 hours in the summer and 6 hours in the fall (2 classes each semester).  Hopefully by December, I'll have 18 hours completed which is halfway through the program.  I spoke with one of the advisors in SLIS yesterday and I'm not completely sure I'm on board with what she suggested.  I'd originally signed up to be in the General Practice program because I thought that would be the most useful if/when I decide to leave a public school library.  I have the education background and experience in the school library setting so I didn't think the School Certification route would be necessary.  Speaking with the advisor, she seemed to think otherwise.  During the course of the conversation, I agreed to have her change my focus.  I'm still not convinced that is what I want to do.  I still think General Practice is what I want to do.  I think I'm going to set up an appointment to speak with my actual advisor when he is in ABQ for the NMLA conference in April just to talk out my concerns and questions I have.  The end goal is the MLS and I'm not sure it will much what classes I've taken since I'm not looking at a highly specialized program of study.  But I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot either.

As I was registering, I clicked on the address information that is listed.  A mailing address is shown (our address here in ABQ) but there wasn't a home address.  I also wanted to see if there was a way to add my cell phone as a contact number.  I had to smile when I saw the permanent address listed--apparently, I'm still on the UNT records from my first go-around there 16 years ago.  But I'm afraid I won't be getting any mail sent to the Texline address.  No one by that name has been there since 1997.  I'm tempted to leave it just for sentimental purposes--I definitely smiled when I saw that post office box listed.  I've always loved to get the mail.  I still go to the mailbox every day, much to Paul's amusement (although, he's coming around to my mail-checking ways).   As soon as I could drive, I took it upon myself to be the one to go every day to pick up the mail.  And, frequently, to send a letter down to Lubbock.  It cost 25 cents to mail a letter way back then and a couple of times of week, I would take in a quarter or some assortment of nickels, dimes, and pennies to buy one stamp. I never bought a book of stamps. I'm not sure why it never crossed my mind to spend $5 to buy one.  The Texline postmaster knew exactly what I wanted every time I walked into that little foyer--she never asked if I wanted to buy a book of stamps either.  Perhaps she was enjoying seeing a little teenage love sent one stamp at a time.

I think sentimentality is going to win, at least for the time being. My current mailing address is correct and so is the phone number so I'm not missing anything important.  And it's nice to be reminded of a time when the most pressing bill I had was buying a 25 cent stamp.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the story about going to the post office! :-)

Patsy said...

Ok, that made me sort of choke up. I remember a time when I got and sent a letter each day. I imagine the postate was even less. The mailman who brought the letter a day said it was a bit of a sad day when we got married.