Saturday, October 25, 2008

However, "laundry" is still on the To Do list:

We took advantage of early voting to do our civic duty today. Although there were reports of waits of 1.5-2 hours, we were in and out in 20 minutes or so.

Paul didn't want to complete more than the oval for president on a fairly long ballot so I was telling him the couple of bonds to vote for and a few other people that I like to vote for. Paul and I actually vote in different precincts because he is still registered at his parents' house and I'm registered at our house. He should probably change that at some point in time but hey, it's New Mexico. Anything goes. His brother is still on the voting register even though he hasn't lived in NM in 20 years. Since we aren't required to show I.D., we tease about Paul going back through the line as Alan. Not that he actually would. It's like pulling teeth just to get him to vote once. He's a wee bit (or a whole lot) cynical about the whole process. We were probably not supposed to be chatting while completing the ballot but again, it's New Mexico. Vote early, vote often.

I did make him leave me alone for the moment I was deciding on President (I completed the rest of the ballot first). I was honestly one of those "stupid" people who walked in undecided. In my opinion, I think both major party candidates have such glaring weaknesses in their positions that I wasn't sold on either one. I'm still not sold on them. So, I took a minute, said a little prayer and marked my ballot. In the end, it doesn't matter--I've been hanging around Paul long enough that his cynicism is rubbing off on me--but it's done and I've earned my right to complain for the next four years.

6 comments:

Patsy said...

Robert has done early voting also. I'm debating with myself about whether I want to stand in line for early voting or on election day. On that, I'm undecided.

Melissa said...

I voted Friday. Not thrilled with either candidate, but I held my nose and voted for the one I think will screw things up the least. Great way to look at it, huh?

The Steinman Squad said...

I voted on Friday too and almost die the eennie, meenie, minnie, moe method. Had no strong feeling on either candidate and I actually almost wrote in a candidate. I just so badly want a mulligan on this whole election.

Stephanie said...

I agree with all of the above! I told my mom the other day it's like that Johnny Cash song (I think it's "Sunday Morning Coming Down") - trying to find your cleanest dirty shirt. That's pretty much how I view this election.

Anonymous said...

Thank god all the disallusioned Republicans are coming over to Obama's side.

Anonymous said...

disillusioned, oops.